Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sooo i am in year 11 first of all and i may be asking this a bit late , the question is, starting now, how many hours should i be dedicating to each exam (23 in total) every week?

Background information : My targets for each subject are 8 for biology, chem, eng lit, french, maths, physics
    7 for eng lang, and r.e
    A* for further maths and ict
    In my mocks in JANUARY, i got a 6 in biology, chem, french, physics and r.e
    5 in eng lit
    7 in english lang
    8 in maths
    B in ict and further maths

As you can see i didnt do too well and idk what happened to be honest, i revised for two weeks but in those two weeks it was all mashed up and i dont think it was solid revision if yk what i mean.

I dont want anything below a 7 or A in any subject and just need to know how much to revise for each exam every week please

ReputationRep:
    Bump
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by idkthename)
    how many hours should i be dedicating to each exam (23 in total) every week?
    However many it takes for you to be consistently getting grades you are happy with and be comfortable with the content. It's not about how much time you put in but the type of effort. There is no set amount of hours you need to put in and even if there were, it would be different for everyone. We don't know anything about you so can't possibly say how much time you need to put in.

You know yourself best. If you don't know how many hours you'll need to spend on something then strangers on the Internet with no background information won't have the faitest idea.

Rather than focusing on the hours you are putting in, focus on the quality of your revision. You could do half an hour of effective revision and come out with top grades or you could spend 5 hours every day reading notes and never improve. Identify revision techniques that work for you and employ them as much as necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    However many it takes for you to be consistently getting grades you are happy with and be comfortable with the content. It's not about how much time you put in but the type of effort. There is no set amount of hours you need to put in and even if there were, it would be different for everyone. We don't know anything about you so can't possibly say how much time you need to put in.

You know yourself best. If you don't know how many hours you'll need to spend on something then strangers on the Internet with no background information won't have the faitest idea.

Rather than focusing on the hours you are putting in, focus on the quality of your revision. You could do half an hour of effective revision and come out with top grades or you could spend 5 hours every day reading notes and never improve. Identify revision techniques that work for you and employ them as much as necessary.
    So would you say 40 mins-1hr of each exam every week is enough if it is proper revision.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It varies and depends on the subject.
    For example:
    last year I spent hours and hours on english on french(of quality work) to improve and get the grade I required, wherelse for maths I did nothing because it wasn't the subject that I needed to revise to keep my grade

ReputationRep:
    Sooo i am in year 11 first of all and i may be asking this a bit late , the question is, starting now, how many hours should i be dedicating to each exam (23 in total) every week?

Background information : My targets for each subject are 8 for biology, chem, eng lit, french, maths, physics
    7 for eng lang, and r.e
    A* for further maths and ict
    In my mocks in JANUARY, i got a 6 in biology, chem, french, physics and r.e
    5 in eng lit
    7 in english lang
    8 in maths
    B in ict and further maths

As you can see i didnt do too well and idk what happened to be honest, i revised for two weeks but in those two weeks it was all mashed up and i dont think it was solid revision if yk what i mean.

I dont want anything below a 7 or A in any subject and just need to know how much to revise for each exam every week please
    It will ultimately vary depending on the subjects and how confident you are in your knowledge in it. For example, English Lit will probably require lots of memorising but RE will not require as much revision as Math which needs practice. Just revise until you are confident in any topic of each subject. It's not about time as much as it's about your depth of knowledge. Preperation will vary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AzureCeleste)
    It varies and depends on the subject.
    For example:
    last year I spent hours and hours on english on french(of quality work) to improve and get the grade I required, wherelse for maths I did nothing because it wasn't the subject that I needed to revise to keep my grade
    Oh ok that is basically what i need aswell thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.H365)
    It will ultimately vary depending on the subjects and how confident you are in your knowledge in it. For example, English Lit will probably require lots of memorising but RE will not require as much revision as Math which needs practice. Just revise until you are confident in any topic of each subject. It's not about time as much as it's about your depth of knowledge. Preperation will vary.
    Yeah maths i think literally needs an hour a week and i need to focus on english

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok that is basically what i need aswell thanks
    Yeah and no, like for me I didn't need to revise maths as it comes naturally to me so I'd get an A wether I revised much or not. I meant it more in that way.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    So would you say 40 mins-1hr of each exam every week is enough if it is proper revision.

Thanks
    As I said before, we don't have the information to judge how much revision you specifically need to do and there isn't some magic point where the amount of time put in equates to going up a grade. If you think 40 minutes to an hour per exam per week is enough then go with that. If you find it isn't, consider improving the quality of your revision rather than throwing more hours at the problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AzureCeleste)
    Yeah and no, like for me I didn't need to revise maths as it comes naturally to me so I'd get an A wether I revised much or not. I meant it more in that way.
    Thats what i mean too, in a recent past paper i didnt revise at all and got a level 8 , so i guess its a lower priority

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    As I said before, we don't have the information to judge how much revision you specifically need to do and there isn't some magic point where the amount of time put in equates to going up a grade. If you think 40 minutes to an hour per exam per week is enough then go with that. If you find it isn't, consider improving the quality of your revision rather than throwing more hours at the problem.
    Ok i get what you mean i guess i shouldnt have left it so late as there is no room to experiment

ReputationRep:
    I can't answer how many hours to revise each day as it really is dependant on your personal situation. However, you should try to focus on revising more for exams you got low marks (compared to your targets) in during your mocks - namely, English Literature, ICT and Further Maths. Just get on with your revision now, and try to revise each night and at the weekend. Ask your teachers what sub-topics you need to improve on (i.e. Hydrocarbons in Chemistry, or Algebra in Maths) and focus on these - if you got 100% in your unit test on Cells in Biology, you shouldn't need to revise as much on this as if you got 45% in your unit test on Microscopy in Biology. Find your best revision method - whether that be flashcards, mind maps, watching videos, doing past papers - and use this to revise for subjects. TSR have a page for how to revise for certain subjects if you are stuck - I can't find the link, but search it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Koalifications)
    I can't answer how many hours to revise each day as it really is dependant on your personal situation. However, you should try to focus on revising more for exams you got low marks (compared to your targets) in during your mocks - namely, English Literature, ICT and Further Maths. Just get on with your revision now, and try to revise each night and at the weekend. Ask your teachers what sub-topics you need to improve on (i.e. Hydrocarbons in Chemistry, or Algebra in Maths) and focus on these - if you got 100% in your unit test on Cells in Biology, you shouldn't need to revise as much on this as if you got 45% in your unit test on Microscopy in Biology. Find your best revision method - whether that be flashcards, mind maps, watching videos, doing past papers - and use this to revise for subjects. TSR have a page for how to revise for certain subjects if you are stuck - I can't find the link, but search it up.
    Ok that cleared up a lot thanks , and is watching videos good because i love just binge watching freesciencelessons when revising but i didnt know if it was actually effective or not

ReputationRep:
    Ok that cleared up a lot thanks , and is watching videos good because i love just binge watching freesciencelessons when revising but i didnt know if it was actually effective or not
    Yes, a fellow fan of freesciencelessons! He is very good for science revision because he tells you exactly what you need to know for the exam and no more or no less. I think watching revision videos is a good idea because they spend three minutes to tell you what your teacher tells you in an hour. However, you must make sure that the videos are for your specification, because you may watch videos that follow the OCR specification instead of the AQA specification, for example. I would recommend taking notes on the videos, or you may forget what you watch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Koalifications)
    Yes, a fellow fan of freesciencelessons! He is very good for science revision because he tells you exactly what you need to know for the exam and no more or no less. I think watching revision videos is a good idea because they spend three minutes to tell you what your teacher tells you in an hour. However, you must make sure that the videos are for your specification, because you may watch videos that follow the OCR specification instead of the AQA specification, for example. I would recommend taking notes on the videos, or you may forget what you watch.
    Haha i know exactly what you mean by the 3 mins in an hour, and does he do aqa or ocr???

ReputationRep:
    Haha i know exactly what you mean by the 3 mins in an hour, and does he do aqa or ocr???
    He follows the AQA exam board specification, and I find him really useful for teaching science.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ok i get what you mean i guess i shouldnt have left it so late as there is no room to experiment
    That's not really an issue since it's only March. You have a good 2 months before exam season even starts, longer if your exams are in June. And you have a couple of weeks off for Easter. You've got loads of time to work out the best techniques for you and keep in mind that time spent experimenting is still time spent revising. You could spend a few weeks trying different techniques and then apply them properly to your revision starting in April. You'll have still March revising and may remember the stuff you revised more because you were trying lots of different things.

Also keep in mind that you aren't going in with a blank slate. You must have tried some stuff before and can tell whether it worked. You can also look back on class exercises and think what you remember most. Maybe you remember a Maths class where a teacher sang a stupid song or a Science class where you set something on fire. Think about what you are remembering and why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    That's not really an issue since it's only March. You have a good 2 months before exam season even starts, longer if your exams are in June. And you have a couple of weeks off for Easter. You've got loads of time to work out the best techniques for you and keep in mind that time spent experimenting is still time spent revising. You could spend a few weeks trying different techniques and then apply them properly to your revision starting in April. You'll have still March revising and may remember the stuff you revised more because you were trying lots of different things.

Also keep in mind that you aren't going in with a blank slate. You must have tried some stuff before and can tell whether it worked. You can also look back on class exercises and think what you remember most. Maybe you remember a Maths class where a teacher sang a stupid song or a Science class where you set something on fire. Think about what you are remembering and why.
    That really gave me hope lol thanks i thought i was so far behind

I am starting today and hopefully i dont give up

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.