Turn on thread page Beta

I'm 18.

I have Us in most of my GCSEs apart from 3 but none of them are passes, they're allow below the C grade.
    My only qualifications are functional skills level 1 English and maths and animal care, equivalent to D - G GCSEs.*

I would love to work with animals, it's my dream. I only have a level 1 qualification but do dog sitting sometimes and have volunteered with animals but want a full time job looking after rescues.

I have severe depression, anxiety and low iron. No friends, most of my family hate me.

I feel like a failure. My sibling has great GCSEs, A levels, masters degree, good paid job which they enjoy. I have nothing other than dog sitting and my pets. I mean how stupid do you have to be to try and pass GCSEs and come out with Us.

I'm likely to never work with animals and be in low paid jobs I hate for the rest of my life, I'm exhausted physically and emotionally from thinking it would be better for me to die. I have nothing to look forward to.

One day I want to have a car, apartment, holidays, it's not really about being rich if I can still have those things but realistically everyone looks down on people like me and probably won't hire me.

What do I do?

ReputationRep:
    You have to start somewhere. Most of the best people don’t start right at the top, but begin with more moderate jobs. I know someone who is taking A-levels at 60. If you work hard enough, nothing can get in your way. Get a decent job (doesn’t have to be anything special, just good enough pay), the you can spend the rest of your time retaking exams.
    Alternatively, you can build up your experience.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by Ben_dyson)
    You have to start somewhere. Most of the best people don’t start right at the top, but begin with more moderate jobs. I know someone who is taking A-levels at 60. If you work hard enough, nothing can get in your way. Get a decent job (doesn’t have to be anything special, just good enough pay), the you can spend the rest of your time retaking exams.
    Alternatively, you can build up your experience.
    I just have a hard time believing I'll get somewhere in life and not end up working in retail for the rest of my life, there isn't anything wrong with people working in retail at any age but it isn' something I wanna do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I just have a hard time believing I'll get somewhere in life and not end up working in retail for the rest of my life, there isn't anything wrong with people working in retail at any age but it isn' something I wanna do
    As I said, that is not the only option.

No matter what you think, your parents are probably there for you. Altough, just like many parents, I doubt they will be too happy having their 18yr old child at home, but I am sure they will underestand.

Anyway, as far as I understand you haven't even taken your exams this year. So, whatever you do, pull your socks up. I am not going to pretend that it is going to be easy, because it isn't. If you manage to do well this year, what will be holding you back?

(Original post by Ben_dyson)
    As I said, that is not the only option.

No matter what you think, your parents are probably there for you. Altough, just like many parents, I doubt they will be too happy having their 18yr old child at home, but I am sure they will underestand.

Anyway, as far as I understand you haven't even taken your exams this year. So, whatever you do, pull your socks up. I am not going to pretend that it is going to be easy, because it isn't. If you manage to do well this year, what will be holding you back?
    Most people don't move out at 18. Also what exams? I've already done GCSEs at 16 but failed.

ReputationRep:
    Most people don't move out at 18. Also what exams? I've already done GCSEs at 16 but failed.
    Sorry, mea culpa (my fault).
    Why not take them again?

ey champ , sucks to hear what u going through , my first bit of advice is to resit your english and maths gcse at you local exam center (since you havent passed it , it will most likely be for free) ik it might be hard for you because of ur mental health but if you dig real deep and believe in yourself , there's no reason why u cant pass it , ik it can be hard but the thing is , nobody in life goes through it easy , some people have it better than others and some make the best go of it.

My next step for u after that is to see if you can get help in doing another apprenticeship (if that's possible) and work you way up the ranks

no matter what just remember at the end of the day....

Spoiler:
    Show

You can always ignore all of this and choose to live on benefits XD

ey champ , sucks to hear what u going through , my first bit of advice is to resit your english and maths gcse at you local exam center (since you havent passed it , it will most likely be for free) ik it might be hard for you because of ur mental health but if you dig real deep and believe in yourself , there's no reason why u cant pass it , ik it can be hard but the thing is , nobody in life goes through it easy , some people have it better than others and some make the best go of it.2

My next step for u after that is to see if you can get help in doing another apprenticeship (if that's possible) and work you way up the ranks

no matter what just remember at the end of the day....

Spoiler:
    Show

You can always ignore all of this and choose to live on benefits XD

I want to work with animals, not join the rest of the low lives sitting at home on benefits (I know some people can't actually work) but I'm not the giving up type anyway. Thank you

I want to work with animals, not join the rest of the low lives sitting at home on benefits (I know some people can't actually work) but I'm not the giving up type anyway. Thank you
    well not all people on benefits do it because they're lazy , some are on it because of mental health like yours....

well not all people on benefits do it because they're lazy , some are on it because of mental health like yours....
    That's why I said I know some people can't work, tbf though I am constantly worrying about my future which gets really stressful and I still do a job and go to college.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2018
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.