Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Does increasing the conc. of a reactant in a dynamic equilibrium watch

ReputationRep:
    ... increase yield?

I have had a debate with my peers... I know it would move the position of equilibrium to the right but does increasing input to increase output technically increase yield. because I say increasing yield would only count if you were getting more product from the mixture of reactant you already have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazoorie)
    ... increase yield?

I have had a debate with my peers... I know it would move the position of equilibrium to the right but does increasing input to increase output technically increase yield. because I say increasing yield would only count if you were getting more product from the mixture of reactant you already have.
    Well yield is the amount of product obtained in a reaction.
    Increasing conc of reactant increases conc of product. So in that sense you have increased yield. The definition of yield has no mention that you must have a fixed amount of reactant and that you can't add more of it in the system, so I agree, increase conc of reactant then you increase yield.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 10, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.