Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What would be a suitable budget for a first car?
    I would mainly use it for commuting between home and university on motorway.
    Also i am going to keep it for 5 years minimum .

ReputationRep:
    £2k for the car and £2k for the insurance

ReputationRep:
    A good ol' £500 banger will last you 5 years +
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I budgeted £3K for my car and the first year of insurance, tax, MOT, etc. Was about right. The more you try to budget for a car, the higher your insurance is likely to be. Realistically speaking you could buy a car for £1000 and insurance for £1000 but of course it depends on your exact circumstances. But I wouldn't budget more than £4K overall for your first car.

Also don't just assume you'll keep it for 5 years. There's no guarantee that something won't go wrong and you'll need to buy a new car or spend out fixing yours up. Spend money on a worthwhile car that will last and take care of it but at the same time keep saving in case you need to spend out on the car at a later date.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    £2k for the car and £2k for the insurance
    Sorry for not mentioning this but i dont live in the uk so insurance is not that big of a deal ~ 1000 euros p year.used to live in the uk but im going to start uni abroad this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    I budgeted £3K for my car and the first year of insurance, tax, MOT, etc. Was about right. The more you try to budget for a car, the higher your insurance is likely to be. Realistically speaking you could buy a car for £1000 and insurance for £1000 but of course it depends on your exact circumstances. But I wouldn't budget more than £4K overall for your first car.

Also don't just assume you'll keep it for 5 years. There's no guarantee that something won't go wrong and you'll need to buy a new car or spend out fixing yours up. Spend money on a worthwhile car that will last and take care of it but at the same time keep saving in case you need to spend out on the car at a later date.
    Thanks thats exactly what i was thinking do you happen to know any good brands/models that are reliable and have good fuel economy?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Acsel)

I agree.
    I would spend up to £1500 on your first car. Basically because you then have insurance etc etc. And you might get the odd scratch etc in your first year or so, so you dont want to go spending all your money on the car.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Bence9912)
    Thanks thats exactly what i was thinking do you happen to know any good brands/models that are reliable and have good fuel economy?
    I don't personally have any recommendations, I'm driving a Vauxhall Corsa and have no complaints. But to an extent reliability is determined by how well you take care of your car and fuel economy by how you drive it. If you're driving on motorways a lot, you'll naturally have better fuel economy than someone like me driving around cities all day. Google will help you there or I imagine there are dedicated threads in the Motoring forums (try the search function)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    I agree.
    I would spend up to £1500 on your first car. Basically because you then have insurance etc etc. And you might get the odd scratch etc in your first year or so, so you dont want to go spending all your money on the car.
    I wont be paying for insurance and petrol however i do have to pay for my car. Do you have any recommendations ? I am mainly going to use it on the motorway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    I don't personally have any recommendations, I'm driving a Vauxhall Corsa and have no complaints. But to an extend reliability is determined by how well you take care of your car and fuel economy by how you drive it. If you're driving on motorways a lot, you'll naturally have better fuel economy than someone like me driving around cities all day. Google will help you there or I imagine there are dedicated threads in the Motoring forums (try the search function)
    Thank you!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Bence9912)
    I wont be paying for insurance and petrol however i do have to pay for my car. Do you have any recommendations ? I am mainly going to use it on the motorway.
    How come you wont be paying for insurance and petrol?
    Personally id recommend either a nissan micra, kia picanto, hyundai getz, hyundai i10 or hyundi i20.
    You should be able to get all of them within your budget as they come in a wide variety of specifications and ages. They are all reliable too.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.