Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so i broke my phone about 1 month ago due to the lcd screen breaking. I paid £60 for it to be replaced and was given back my phone in 2 days. I recorded the phones state before giving it to the shop and when i got it back, the case was missing. I had my friends collect the phone and when i got it back , the phone vibration was really off and dodgy and there were glue marks on the side of which seeped out when they resealed it after fitting the LCD. I called up the shop and recorded the conversation; the guy seemed like he already knew the vibration was broken as he said my phone model (xperia z5) right after i had said the vibration wasn't working and thus told me to go into the shop again. The next day i went to the shop and he would not accept blame for the bad job of which glue seeped out of the sides and the backlight could be seen from the phone edges but agreed to fix the vibration only after he could order the part for it (which would apparently take 2 weeks as it was coming from germany). Although i was pretty annoyed, i was satisfied that my vibration would be fixed and went home with the new installed LCD. As soon as i got home, i dropped the phone on my carpet and it cracked, implying the LCD was just crap but there's nothing i could do about it as it was my fault for buying it. After 2 weeks, i went to collect my phone and the guy said that he bought the wrong part as it was another models and told me to revisit after 2 days. I visited after 2 days and he said it wouldn't fit as my phone model was very old and he can't find a new part. He then said he tried gluing it but it wouldn't fit in place. After that, he said he can't do anything and tried to compensate me with a "free case or free pair of headphones". I thought this was ridiculous and told him to fix my vibrate as it wasn't my fault and i had only paid for an LCD replacement and that it was his problem that he can't find a replacement part and it's his responsibility to fix it. He then told me he'd try and take the part off another phone and put it in mine and told me to revisit in 3 days. If I go back in 3 days and he says he couldnt fix it, what are my rights? I have a lot of solid video evidence such as the phonecall and my visits to his shop to support my case.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by TheTerminator786)
    Hi, so i broke my phone about 1 month ago due to the lcd screen breaking. I paid £60 for it to be replaced and was given back my phone in 2 days. I recorded the phones state before giving it to the shop and when i got it back, the case was missing. I had my friends collect the phone and when i got it back , the phone vibration was really off and dodgy and there were glue marks on the side of which seeped out when they resealed it after fitting the LCD. I called up the shop and recorded the conversation; the guy seemed like he already knew the vibration was broken as he said my phone model (xperia z5) right after i had said the vibration wasn't working and thus told me to go into the shop again. The next day i went to the shop and he would not accept blame for the bad job of which glue seeped out of the sides and the backlight could be seen from the phone edges but agreed to fix the vibration only after he could order the part for it (which would apparently take 2 weeks as it was coming from germany). Although i was pretty annoyed, i was satisfied that my vibration would be fixed and went home with the new installed LCD. As soon as i got home, i dropped the phone on my carpet and it cracked, implying the LCD was just crap but there's nothing i could do about it as it was my fault for buying it. After 2 weeks, i went to collect my phone and the guy said that he bought the wrong part as it was another models and told me to revisit after 2 days. I visited after 2 days and he said it wouldn't fit as my phone model was very old and he can't find a new part. He then said he tried gluing it but it wouldn't fit in place. After that, he said he can't do anything and tried to compensate me with a "free case or free pair of headphones". I thought this was ridiculous and told him to fix my vibrate as it wasn't my fault and i had only paid for an LCD replacement and that it was his problem that he can't find a replacement part and it's his responsibility to fix it. He then told me he'd try and take the part off another phone and put it in mine and told me to revisit in 3 days. If I go back in 3 days and he says he couldnt fix it, what are my rights? I have a lot of solid video evidence such as the phonecall and my visits to his shop to support my case.

Sorry cant go through it all at the moment, but seems like a pretty standard Consumer Rights Act repair claim.

Give the CAB consumer helpline a ring and they will talk you through it.

Citizens Advice consumer helpline: 03454 04 05 06
    Textphone: 18001 03454 04 05 06
    Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm

If you have any trouble after you have spoken to them then tag me later and I will get back to you.

ReputationRep:
    Tell him you want your money back plus some compensation and that you have evidence of what he's done. A lot of these local phone repair shops do dodgy jobs and sometimes even take out parts and swap them for cheaper parts when you're not there. Always get them to do it in front of you. Even if it's a 30 minute job, you can stay there and watch them. Never leave your phone with these local repair shops even for a few hours. Next time the best thing you can do is get insurance for your phone so you can send it back for repair when needed and that way you know it will be fixed properly by reliable people.

ReputationRep:
    He's prob gave you the *****y vibration unit he swapped out the LAST phone. Just sounds like a flat out dodgy trader and poor craftsman tbh, I'd likely walk away and call it a lesson learned for the amount of hassle you'd have trying to claim it back, and it's not like he has the skill to fix it well even if he wants to. (Pretty sure recording phonecalls without peoples say so isn't admissible in any way btw)

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.