Turn on thread page Beta

What does she mean by this response? watch

I complimented this girl picture on Facebook and she replied “a compliment coming from you, I doubt it”. What does this essentially mean?

That you don’t usually give compliments that’s why she doubts it? Idk I’m a girl too and idk what this girls talking about lmao

ReputationRep:
    That it's supposedly not in your nature to give compliments. This could either be tongue-in-cheek, or an aggressive response. Hard to tell without context.

ReputationRep:
    What Joel96 said, without context it's hard to tell(whats your relationship with her like?). Either it's kinda like jokey or aggresive(i.e. she doesn't believe you)

ReputationRep:
    was that the exact punctuation used?

ReputationRep:
    That's what every girl say to me
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by Elinrebekah)
    was that the exact punctuation used?
    She’s put a laughing emoji at the end ‘😂’

(Original post by Fasih123)
    That's what every girl say to me
    What would that mean then

ReputationRep:
    If it was me who wrote it I’d be teasing you but I suppose she might actually be mad depending on ur history?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I complimented this girl picture on Facebook and she replied “a compliment coming from you, I doubt it”. What does this essentially mean?
    She’s not interested. Tbh that’s quite rude of her

WHy is that a rude response exactly?

(Original post by getmeoffmyphone)
    She’s not interested. Tbh that’s quite rude of her

ReputationRep:
    WHy is that a rude response exactly?
    Well, she’s telling you she doesn’t believe you could give a compliment. The polite thing to do would be to accept it whether she wanted it or not. It was rude to respond to you in a “why the hell are you complimenting me” kind of way

ReputationRep:
    She's doesn't actually know whether you were really complimenting her, or if you were trying to be funny, so rather than saying nothing at all - which, if you were poking fun at her, would be a massive loss of credibility on her part - she's given you an answer which is just as ambiguous. You don't know what she meant, so it worked.

ReputationRep:
    it sounds hostile, but then she put a smiley on the end so perhaps not

maybe she is fishing for more compliments by saying that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getmeoffmyphone)
    Well, she’s telling you she doesn’t believe you could give a compliment. The polite thing to do would be to accept it whether she wanted it or not. It was rude to respond to you in a “why the hell are you complimenting me” kind of way
    Actually I’d say it’s a positive response. By that response, she’s essentially saying that ‘you’re too good for me, a compliment from u sounds too good to be true’

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Concav)
    Actually I’d say it’s a positive response. By that response, she’s essentially saying that ‘you’re too good for me, a compliment from u sounds too good to be true’
    That or ‘you’re a jerk and this is out of character for you’ kinda hard to tell without knowing the context

(Original post by ANM775)
    it sounds hostile, but then she put a smiley on the end so perhaps not

maybe she is fishing for more compliments by saying that
    What about the above response?

ReputationRep:
    What about the above response?

quote or link the response you're referring to

(Original post by ANM775)
    quote or link the response you're referring to
    Post #15?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Concav)
    You make a good point actually. It’s really what the individual makes of it :P

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.