Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted an insight into how competitive it actually is applying to study Law at Oxbridge. I am very interested in applying to do so but want to make sure I have a reasonable chance of being admitted. I am currently taking History, Economics and Sociology and an EPQ. I am doing well in all my subjects so far and would say I am on track for A/A*'s. My GCSEs are 1 A**, 7 A's, 4 B's. I know these are lower than typical Oxbridge applicants but I have seen people with poor GCSEs get admitted.

Ultimately, I want to find out how hard is it actually to get in and out of Oxford and Cambridge which is easier to get into?
    Would my chances of getting into HSPS at Cambridge be higher than for Law?
    Is it realistic for me to apply to Oxbridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.H365)
    I just wanted an insight into how competitive it actually is applying to study Law at Oxbridge. I am very interested in applying to do so but want to make sure I have a reasonable chance of being admitted. I am currently taking History, Economics and Sociology and an EPQ. I am doing well in all my subjects so far and would say I am on track for A/A*'s. My GCSEs are 1 A**, 7 A's, 4 B's. I know these are lower than typical Oxbridge applicants but I have seen people with poor GCSEs get admitted.

Ultimately, I want to find out how hard is it actually to get in and out of Oxford and Cambridge which is easier to get into?
    I'm currently studying English at Cambridge, with lots of friends doing Law. I have very similar GCSE grades to you and people I know studying Law have a similar enough mix of A levels. It is absolutely realistic for you to apply to Oxbridge, and you definitely should. That's not to say that it won't be competitive, of course it will be, it would be for every subject. It's impossible to say whether HSPS would be 'easier' to get an offer for than Law, it entirely depends each year on how many people applied to study it at the same college as you and how good they are. Only go for HSPS if interest in the course compels you, not just because you think it might be easier.

You often hear that it's 'easier' to get into Oxford than it is Cambridge but, as you can only apply to one of them, I don't think that any comparison has any true merit. I obviously went for Cambridge - I'd been to a summer school here, fell in love with the Bridge of Sighs and just liked the sound of the course here more. You could also consider things such as the interview process if you're deciding between the two, as well as financial support offered to students (also useful when deciding which college to apply for - at Cam there is a uni wide bursary of £3500 a year, but my college St John's supplements it with an extra £6500 a year, other colleges have different funding for different things (travel grants/book money etc))

Basically: Definitely apply (or else!), Pick based on appeal rather than ease of entry (you might end up stuck with your choice for 3 yrs after all), and if you opt for Cambridge, hmu and I can give you the low down on colleges etc

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for this response. I think I’m definitely going to apply to Cambridge to be honest. I like the sound of the course and I feel the application process is better. Is there anyways I could contact you to help me with colleges and personal statement help? It’s fine if you’re busy but it would be really helpful. Maybe by email?

Thanks anyways,
    Ali
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.H365)

Go for it. The worst that can happen is that they say no and you go somewhere else. So as long as you research other possibilities and keep your options open, you'll be fine.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.