Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    soooooo, i've chosen to do all three sciences and maths for A-level (i'm currently doing GCSE) but i am a bit torn for Physics (reconsidering it with Geography) so what i am wondering is, if anybody has done it/is doing it: how do you find it? Is it interesting enough to pursue??

ReputationRep:
    I am currently doing maths, physics and economics for my A-levels. Here's what you should consider when picking you A-level's, will I be motivated to revise this subject on a every week basis, am I currently enjoying this subject, what many students fail to realise is that they pick a subject they don't like at GCSE and end up failing / dropping that subject.

In my perspective if your willing to put in the hard work for physics then go for it, as physics and maths essentially keep all engineering / IT courses available at uni whereas geography will only open up 1 or 2 courses. In my opinion and according to my friends who take triple science, physics is one of the more difficult subjects and that most people who do triple science at the start of the year either, end up dropping physics and have the medicine route of biochem available to them or they drop biology and have the engineering route availble of physics and chemistry. Well it's entirely up to you and make sure to do some reasearch into your subject before choosing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trapsta123)
    I am currently doing maths, physics and economics for my A-levels. Here's what you should consider when picking you A-level's, will I be motivated to revise this subject on a every week basis, am I currently enjoying this subject, what many students fail to realise is that they pick a subject they don't like at GCSE and end up failing / dropping that subject.

In my perspective if your willing to put in the hard work for physics then go for it, as physics and maths essentially keep all engineering / IT courses available at uni whereas geography will only open up 1 or 2 courses. In my opinion and according to my friends who take triple science, physics is one of the more difficult subjects and that most people who do triple science at the start of the year either, end up dropping physics and have the medicine route of biochem available to them or they drop biology and have the engineering route availble of physics and chemistry. Well it's entirely up to you and make sure to do some reasearch into your subject before choosing.

Thank you for the insight. Personally, i wouldn't mind doing either because both of these subjects interest me but i just wondered if Physics was really the option for me. I think i will go for Physics because it is interesting and it will open more doors for me than geography so thank you! What topics do you cover at A-Level physics and do you personally find it interesting??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infraaa.0)
    Thank you for the insight. Personally, i wouldn't mind doing either because both of these subjects interest me but i just wondered if Physics was really the option for me. I think i will go for Physics because it is interesting and it will open more doors for me than geography so thank you! What topics do you cover at A-Level physics and do you personally find it interesting??
    The topics you mainly cover in AS physics are mainly based around, circuits, waves, and mechanics which branch of into various smaller units. Do I find it interesting? I do find it interesting but some concepts are difficult to understand, and without understanding the concepts I usually end up failing in many exams. As physics is a mix of math it's always good to do a lot of practice questions. The reason why physics is such an interesting object is that it solves questions about how something works and why it works.

ReputationRep:
    I am currently doing it for year 13 and I find most of it interesting, except the measurements and errors part. I would say only go for it if you really enjoy it, otherwise revising for it becomes a chore and that's noot good for A levels. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions about the course if you have any.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm going to give you the full low down here:

Take Physics if you like Physics, it's really that simple, for an A Level, especially one for the sciences, you have to actually like your subject if you're going to have any chance of succeeding in it, when you're powering through sheets and sheets of problem sheets on a cold dull January morning, will your love of the subject prevail over all? If that's the case, take Physics.

The content in it? Well in AS I won't lie it's much drier, the main motto in our school is that the main incentive to stay is the exciting stuff you will do in year 2, though AS isn't all dry, you'll do some introductory basic mechanics, electricity and circuits, waves, and depending on your board, particle physics or quantum (basic), on OCR A we do quantum in AS, just introductory. At A2 it's off to the stars, the universe, nuclear physics, medical physics, and much more interesting stuff.

Also dw as the Maths in A Level Physics isn't that tough anyway, it's more of thinking of how you can use and apply it, so really common sense, Physics knowledge as well as an aptitude and passion for Physics that will help!

I do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry, so if you have any questions, not just about Physics but about Chemistry, or Maths, then shoot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trapsta123)
    The topics you mainly cover in AS physics are mainly based around, circuits, waves, and mechanics which branch of into various smaller units. Do I find it interesting? I do find it interesting but some concepts are difficult to understand, and without understanding the concepts I usually end up failing in many exams. As physics is a mix of math it's always good to do a lot of practice questions. The reason why physics is such an interesting object is that it solves questions about how something works and why it works.
    That's very insightful, thank you! I do like Physics at GCSE and i like that it is challenging! I do like maths in general but i do know what you mean when you say that not knowing some concepts can lead to you not doing well (been there and done that!). I guess i'll just have to see; i'm still thinking about it but thanks for the very good advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radioactivedecay)
    I am currently doing it for year 13 and I find most of it interesting, except the measurements and errors part. I would say only go for it if you really enjoy it, otherwise revising for it becomes a chore and that's noot good for A levels. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions about the course if you have any.
    wow okay! erm what do you mean by measurements and errors and what do you find to be the most interesting topic in the course??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AryanGh)
    Hi, I'm going to give you the full low down here:

Take Physics if you like Physics, it's really that simple, for an A Level, especially one for the sciences, you have to actually like your subject if you're going to have any chance of succeeding in it, when you're powering through sheets and sheets of problem sheets on a cold dull January morning, will your love of the subject prevail over all? If that's the case, take Physics.

The content in it? Well in AS I won't lie it's much drier, the main motto in our school is that the main incentive to stay is the exciting stuff you will do in year 2, though AS isn't all dry, you'll do some introductory basic mechanics, electricity and circuits, waves, and depending on your board, particle physics or quantum (basic), on OCR A we do quantum in AS, just introductory. At A2 it's off to the stars, the universe, nuclear physics, medical physics, and much more interesting stuff.

Also dw as the Maths in A Level Physics isn't that tough anyway, it's more of thinking of how you can use and apply it, so really common sense, Physics knowledge as well as an aptitude and passion for Physics that will help!

I do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry, so if you have any questions, not just about Physics but about Chemistry, or Maths, then shoot.
    Thank you very much for the feedback, first and foremost! I can't believe you do practically all the mathematical subjects (maths and further maths?! :O) I do agree with you; if i were to choose Physics i'd have to be committed because it isn't a subject that i'd want to drop straight after i've chosen it, so a lot of perseverance will be required of me if i were to commit to it. I've always liked Physics for many reasons so hopefully i'll be able to do it!
    In your opinion, what do you think is dry about the course? Any specific topics that i should be worried about?! Also, since you're doing a lot of maths-y subjects, how is the maths in them all? Especially for Chemistry because i've heard that it is quite challenging.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for the feedback, first and foremost! I can't believe you do practically all the mathematical subjects (maths and further maths?! :O) I do agree with you; if i were to choose Physics i'd have to be committed because it isn't a subject that i'd want to drop straight after i've chosen it, so a lot of perseverance will be required of me if i were to commit to it. I've always liked Physics for many reasons so hopefully i'll be able to do it!
    In your opinion, what do you think is dry about the course? Any specific topics that i should be worried about?! Also, since you're doing a lot of maths-y subjects, how is the maths in them all? Especially for Chemistry because i've heard that it is quite challenging.
    Thanks!
    Haha, no problem, any further questions just PM me.

Yeah I guess I do the more mathsy of options :rofl:, I'm just playing to my skills though, a good tactic when choosing A Levels.

You have to be quite committed to studying Physics but eventually you reach a point where everything clicks and that is very satisfying. Chemistry requires more commitment than Physics imho, getting an A in Physics takes work but an A in Chemistry takes real thought. And if you like Physics by all means take it!

It's not dry per se, but not particularly exciting. You cover things that are probably now included in bits and pieces on the new GCSE course, so you may even have an upper hand coming into it, I'd say circuits is the most fun but AS is just kinda teaching you the methods and skills you'll need for A2 which is super exciting, waves and electricity are pretty fun though, you do that this in Y12.

Maths in Physics (and Chemistry):

For Physics, the Maths is very basic, i.e, since the Physics A Level was specifically designed such that those who took A Level Maths/FM with Physics and those who did not take A Level Maths at all have an 'equal' chance of succeeding. Granted, if you don't do Maths or FM and genuinely enjoy the subject you will succeed, however you may be more comfortable in Physics with a Maths/FM A Level. Basically to sum, in A Level Physics the Maths you're required is not A Level standard, rather, they cannot ask you any questions that require a Mathematical ability or technique beyond grade 7/8/9 GCSE standard.

ReputationRep:
    wow okay! erm what do you mean by measurements and errors and what do you find to be the most interesting topic in the course??
    Measurements and errors is the part of the course where you deal with experiments, their methods, calculating uncertainty stuff like that. Id say my favourite part is mechanics for sure cuz the questions are pretty fun and can be quite challenging.

Currently doing maths, phys and chem at AS level. It's very challenging and even though I like it and enjoy learning it, sometimes solving past papers makes me want to blast my brains out. Most of the people I know hate it and have considered dropping it at least once so if you take it you should practice a lot. I'm not trying to discourage you, I mean everyone's different but just be mentally prepared ok? Best of luck! ^-^

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 21, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.