Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Try either a kia picanto, hyundai getz or a nissan micra. The first 2 especially are less common among young drivers so should be cheaper on insurance. Trying a car that is slightly bigger (such as a kia rio, ford focus etc) might bring the cost down as well as its not the sort of thing that young drivers have so shouldnt be as expensive. Cars like vauxhall corsas, ford fiestas etc are common amongst young drivers, and plenty get scraped, crashed etc, so the insurance on those is likely to be higher.
    If you can wait that long, it might be worth not getting a car just yet and waiting until you have had your licence for a year. Having your licence for longer, even if you havent driven, will bring the cost down a bit as well.
    Thank you for being very helpful! I will have a look at those cars that you have suggested, I know for most people getting a car at 18 is pointless however I go to college each day and also go to work 2-4 times a week and relying on public transport all the time is expensive and annoying, anyways I will let you know how I get on looking at the cars
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by cbaforcba)
    Oops, I meant to say 3K, I think I may just go for a black box because at the end of the day I just have to be a safe driver
    You'd think that, wouldn't you? nevershear RoyalSheepy
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    You'd think that, wouldn't you? nevershear RoyalSheepy
    What every black box driver says... Until they have to make a thread about how their black box policy has been cancelled...

OP, do more research. If there's that much of a difference, 90% of the time you've not done enough shopping around.

ReputationRep:
    Oops, I meant to say 3K, I think I may just go for a black box because at the end of the day I just have to be a safe driver
    Not a good enough reason. Your car is a good enough incentive to be a safe driver. It's hard for me to say since I cancelled my box before it ever got installed; but I drive a £15000 car, even if it was a 10th of that the possibility of either killing myself or spending a lot of time off the roads whether it be from increased premiums from having an accident or writing off the car; that's good enough to make me behave and my family think I'm the safest driver. It isn't entirely true, I've done my fair share of stupid and I've since dropped the habits - the road outside my work is basically a 40mph strip of dual carriageway that staff treat as a drag track, since we all show up and end shifts at the same time it's one of "those" things - someone got gunned doing 70 down it last week and lost his license as he was a freshie and got 6 points; now barely anyone does anything stupid on it. But I don't take any chances, I ain't on a test anymore, I can hesitate on a roundabout as much as I please, I'll go when I'm certain it's safe, I'm not "keeping left" if the road is clear and I'm going right at the upcoming roundabout (and if it isn't clear, this almost definitely means you're going to have to jump the queue, which leaves you screwed if no-one lets you in and is potentially dangerous) - or in my case, I know the left lane is blocked with parked cars every day and people have to move over; so I keep right on the approach. I have a dash cam, I make it a point to watch the footage at least once every couple of days and look for moments where I tell myself "welp, I won't be doing that again". It took me two months just to have the courage to bay park in between two cars (in fairness, my mates agree with me the Fiesta has a HORRENDOUS turning circle).

You see my point here, I'm telling you all this because your box is not the answer and realistically doesn't stop you doing any of that. Ultimately, you should want to be responsible for your own safe driving, not by having a box that is designed to punish your mistakes rather than encourage you to learn from them. Make some phone calls and get that price down, these brokers can get discounts of up to £800 (mine was like 700) - but comparison sites takes their basic rate discount into account, not the actual individual discount between broker and insurer. Put the effort in, pick a different car if you have to, if you put the effort in you will get much more satisfaction in return.

ReputationRep:
    So I have just passed my test at 18 and I am looking to get my first car, I am paying for it all so I at most I am looking to spend 1.5K on a car and 1.5K on insurance. Anyway I have found a car and insurance for it is only 1.2K a year, I think that's amazing however it is so cheap as it comes with a black box, almost all cars that I could afford came with a black box, the next cheapest insurance was always like 2K. I can really only afford one with a black box, but after hearing stories and stuff I really dont want one, what can I do?
    Get a box for your first year, then get normal insurance the next year. My first year was £1650 with a box, then the year after £1100 without.

ReputationRep:
    Did you try with each of your parents [if you have two of course]. What excess have you tried?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I’ve had a black box on my car for nearly a year now and it’s really not that bad (I’m with more than). Literally as long as you don’t speed or break harshly it’s fine. I’m glad I got it because it’s made me drive more safely and smoothly, whereas my boyfriend didn’t get a box and he speeds a lot on accident and drives pretty *****y because he isn’t having to think about his driving.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PammyAnd)
    my boyfriend didn’t get a box and he speeds a lot on accident and drives pretty *****y because he isn’t having to think about his driving.
    That's because he's an idiot, a box wouldn't save him.

ReputationRep:
    It certainly helps, if it wasn’t for my box I would be a much worse driver. Because I know it’s there, I’m careful with my breaking and check my speed constantly.

ReputationRep:
    I would get black box for a year, ive just finished my first year insurance with a black box (cost £1400), for my £600 1.0l 2003 corsa ahah.
    My insurance next week will cost me £650 with one years no claims, and no black box at admiral! A black box isn't that much of a hindrance, i had minor problems with my box but nothing which affects this years premium, no curfew either which was good - insurer was iKube/towergate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PammyAnd)
    It certainly helps, if it wasn’t for my box I would be a much worse driver. Because I know it’s there, I’m careful with my breaking and check my speed constantly.
    Surely you should be a safe driver regardless? You don’t need a box fitted in to calm the driving down.

It puts more pressure on if anything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nevershear)
    That's because he's an idiot, a box wouldn't save him.
    It would certainly help if you know you're getting fined / potentially having your insurance cancelled for speeding. Most drivers speed and do silly things because they can. Watch the masses slow down when there's a speed camera or police car down the road.

ReputationRep:
    Stories and stuff, elaborate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    What every black box driver says... Until they have to make a thread about how their black box policy has been cancelled...
    Hmm not everyone, not all of us have had bad experience with black boxes

Anyhow OP I'd say take it out for the first year and see how it goes. Black boxes aren't as bad as what the majority of TSR makes them out to be. I'm on my second black box policy but hopefully my last, and tbh it's been okay. JUST DON'T BE STUPID

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 22, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.