Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. Just received my conditional offers from Sheffield, Soton (AE with computational engineering design), Manchester and Bristol ( and I'm still waiting for my response from imperial). I was wondering if you could give me some suggestions about which university should i choose and why in order to study the best aerospace engineering course(teachers, course quality, demands). Some details about student life in those cities would also come in very handy.(leisure, sports centers) Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_tp)
    Hi guys. Just received my conditional offers from Sheffield, Soton (AE with computational engineering design), Manchester and Bristol ( and I'm still waiting for my response from imperial). I was wondering if you could give me some suggestions about which university should i choose and why in order to study the best aerospace engineering course(teachers, course quality, demands). Some details about student life in those cities would also come in very handy.(leisure, sports centers) Thanks.
    Have you visited any of them yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blawan)
    Have you visited any of them yet?
    unfortunately not
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    unfortunately not
    You should go to as many open days as you can. YOu cna pick a lot up as to what might suit you.

You could ofc say you are international and unable to visit in the OP.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Some details about student life in those cities would also come in very handy.(leisure, sports centers) Thanks.
    The universities all have their own, usually excellent, sports facilities. Check their web pages.

unfortunately not
    You have until May to visit, and make your choices. You will be spending 3 (or 4) years and investing a lot of money (especially if you are international) at one of these universities so it's definitely worth visiting.

ReputationRep:
    unfortunately not
    I'd recommend visiting them for yourself as there's only so much we can say. I wanted to like Bristol and Manchester but the modules/departments/uni/cities didn't feel quite right for me. I have friends at both of those unis who love it but I think I made the right decision for myself (even since visiting my mates).
    Manchester and Bristol are really great cities but I ended up preferring Sheffield after visiting them all. I liked how the uni was right in the city, the first year accommodation was only 20 mins walk from uni plus it was mostly on one road and not spread out, second year housing is generally only 10 mins walk and is also close to the centre. I also found the facilities for my course were better at Sheffield and I just generally felt more welcome and at home when I went to the applicant day. Nightlife in Sheffield is also great, get the same DJs you get at WHP (Manc) and Motion (Bris) but tickets are cheaper and easier to get hold of.
    Sheffield city centre isn't as good as Manc or Bris but I guess Meadowhall is nearby.
    Haven't been to Southampton so can't really speak for them.

But really I'd recommend visiting for yourself and actually get a feel for the unis. Things can look great on paper but when you actually visit it can be a different story. Unlikely you'll find someone who has had equal experience of all four unis/cities so there'll always be a bit of bias.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2018
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.