Turn on thread page Beta

New Spec AS WJEC Maths/Further Maths Thread watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing the new spec wjec as level maths and further maths exams in May?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Anyone...?

ReputationRep:
    Yes but im finding it very difficult to revise for further as there aren't many materials out there and i don't want to do all the past papers too soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethanthom1)
    Yes but im finding it very difficult to revise for further as there aren't many materials out there and i don't want to do all the past papers too soon
    yeah I agree. I’m just doing all the old spec past papers - hopefully that’ll help.

ReputationRep:
    Further pure exam on Monday...

ReputationRep:
    how did everyone find further pure?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatildaW)
    how did everyone find further pure?
    Well... I wasn’t expecting the paper to be that different from previous FP1 papers, so I had a bit of a surprise.

Most questions were fine, apart from that horrible vectors at the end. I’ll be lucky if I even get 1 mark on the last 5-marker. How did you find it?

Definitely a very very tricky paper.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realise that partial fractions were a thing until this morning! So messed up that question for sure. Timing was my main issue cause I deffo could've done better with the roots of polynomials question with more time. It was harder than the sams which is a first and probably a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realise that partial fractions were a thing until this morning! So messed up that question for sure. Timing was my main issue cause I deffo could've done better with the roots of polynomials question with more time. It was harder than the sams which is a first and probably a good thing.
    Did everyone at your school find it hard? Everyone at mine did.

Also, for the last vectors question did you get some ridiculous fractions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JacobPowell)
    Did everyone at your school find it hard? Everyone at mine did.

Also, for the last vectors question did you get some ridiculous fractions?
    Only 4 people in our year 12 and 4 in yr 13 do AS FM and the majority found it really hard, I'd give it like a 6.5/10. I got pretty large integers on the last question which could fit with your answer cause they might just be the first whole numbers with a comman factor to your fractions.

ReputationRep:
    Only 4 people in our year 12 and 4 in yr 13 do AS FM and the majority found it really hard, I'd give it like a 6.5/10. I got pretty large integers on the last question which could fit with your answer cause they might just be the first whole numbers with a comman factor to your fractions.
    ahh

I think the grade boundaries will be lower than the FP1 paper from last year... 55 for an A perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone do the Summing series question? That six marker was awful...

ReputationRep:
    ahh

I think the grade boundaries will be lower than the FP1 paper from last year... 55 for an A perhaps?
    I hope so. Was the paper out of 70 or 75?

ReputationRep:
    I hope so. Was the paper out of 70 or 75?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mabey)
    Banging

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mabey)
    Could anyone do the Summing series question? That six marker was awful...
    yeah I got stuck on that for a while. how did you find the rest of the paper?

ReputationRep:
    yeah I got stuck on that for a while. how did you find the rest of the paper?
    Okay, I answered everything but the series question(the topics that I revised the most came up luckily), but I am convinced that I made some stupid mistakes here and there. U prepared for mechanics and statistics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mabey)
    Okay, I answered everything but the series question(the topics that I revised the most came up luckily), but I am convinced that I made some stupid mistakes here and there. U prepared for mechanics and statistics?
    Well I thought I was. Seeing as pure wasn’t anything like the spec paper, then I assume stats won’t be either haha

ReputationRep:
    You cant do old spec papers. The New Spec Maths is more problem solving. It is the same maths knowledge as past papers but there will be more thinking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lionike123)
    You cant do old spec papers. The New Spec Maths is more problem solving. It is the same maths knowledge as past papers but there will be more thinking.
    I thought that these questions required a lot more thinking. Do you think the grade boundaries will be lower as a result?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 11, 2018

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.