Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My parents wont let me leave Northern Ireland for university because of the fees/ accomidation and they think theyll end up having to give me money. I want to go to scottland, someone olease tell me that i'll be able to support myself financially

ReputationRep:
    Depending what income band your parents fit in, you'll be eligible for grants, these can help to go towards living costs and tuition fees but aren't very big. You will always have access however to loans which you pay pay back but they have little interest on them and only deduct a small amount of money from your salary once you finish uni, they also come with the added benefit of being cancelled after 30 or so years so it's unlikely you'll even have to pay half of it back if you're in a mid tier salary. Don't let money stop you from reaching your potential, your parents won't have to pay a penny for University unless they want to, that kind of thing is all sorted out for you as long as you can find out what grants you're eligible for, hope this helps
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peter Westbury)
    Depending what income band your parents fit in, you'll be eligible for grants, these can help to go towards living costs and tuition fees but aren't very big. You will always have access however to loans which you pay pay back but they have little interest on them and only deduct a small amount of money from your salary once you finish uni, they also come with the added benefit of being cancelled after 30 or so years so it's unlikely you'll even have to pay half of it back if you're in a mid tier salary. Don't let money stop you from reaching your potential, your parents won't have to pay a penny for University unless they want to, that kind of thing is all sorted out for you as long as you can find out what grants you're eligible for, hope this helps
    I am aware of these grants loans ect and my family are too as two of my siblings are currently studying here, yet shes still convinced they wont cover the full cost of living, thank you though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unmotivated689)
    I am aware of these grants loans ect and my family are too as two of my siblings are currently studying here, yet shes still convinced they wont cover the full cost of living, thank you though
    You'll never starve or not have anywhere to live, you may end up more in debt but uni debt isn't something to be afraid of. Several of my friends 2 years above that have just started University had exactly the same concerns, you just need to do your research and push and push for it, if it's something you want then it's well within your grasp even without much support.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peter Westbury)
    You'll never starve or not have anywhere to live, you may end up more in debt but uni debt isn't something to be afraid of. Several of my friends 2 years above that have just started University had exactly the same concerns, you just need to do your research and push and push for it, if it's something you want then it's well within your grasp even without much support.
    Thank you

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.