Turn on thread page Beta

Age old cliche I know, yet here I am, unable to make up mind about how to proceed with my life.

Basically I'm an English literature grad, 25 years old, working part time in retail and living with my parents. I've always wanted to be a professional novelist / screenwriter and I write most every day. I believe I'm talented though I do get disconcerted by how unlikely it all seems.

Anyway, I don't require much materialistically, but I do need independence. I have an interest, though it's pretty vague in tech and a confirmation in a software MSc conversion at a good university.

Should I take the MSc or try and get into a MSc in screenwriting / prose writing? In other words should I put my dreams first, and try and scrape a living doing more basic jobs to support my dreams? Or should I prioritise independence and security, marginalise my dreams and push it to the background? Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I’d go for the ladder. You can still write in your free time.

ReputationRep:
    Go follow your dreams, by doing so, there is nothing to be lost apart from few years of time and couple grand. And if you fail, you know that you at least tried. But not doing it when you had the chance is when you give up...you don't want to do that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Age old cliche I know, yet here I am, unable to make up mind about how to proceed with my life.

Basically I'm an English literature grad, 25 years old, working part time in retail and living with my parents. I've always wanted to be a professional novelist / screenwriter and I write most every day. I believe I'm talented though I do get disconcerted by how unlikely it all seems.

Anyway, I don't require much materialistically, but I do need independence. I have an interest, though it's pretty vague in tech and a confirmation in a software MSc conversion at a good university.

Should I take the MSc or try and get into a MSc in screenwriting / prose writing? In other words should I put my dreams first, and try and scrape a living doing more basic jobs to support my dreams? Or should I prioritise independence and security, marginalise my dreams and push it to the background? Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
    A tough one. Hmm, although i am no life expert, can you not study the software conversion and write? I mean it will be hardwork but at least you will achieve your dream. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I’d say go for your dreams as you never know you could become so successful ❤️ Remember if your doing something you love regardless if it’s making you millions or just a couple of thousands of pounds, you will never have to work a day in your life 💛 If you decide to go for a screenwriting MSc try to get a lot of experience in that area as it will be really valuable (I don’t know much about screenwriting 😳) Anyway I wish you the best of luck 💕

ReputationRep:
    Name:  82421398-1FD4-4CDB-8282-B338A851AFE4.jpg.jpeg
Views: 19
Size:  13.0 KB

I saw this quote a while ago and it shook me to the core tbh !
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I can not say this vociferously enough: FOLLOW YOUR DREAM! And when I say "follow", I don't mean skulk after it tentatively from the shadows, like a nervous stalker, pursue it, relentlessly, like your life depended on it. Don't write most days, write every day. Write more. And if you hit a block with what you're writing, write something else! Give yourself a time frame, three years, five years, whatever you can commit to, and commit to it completely. Then, and only then, after giving it everything you've got, should you consider trying something "safe".
    There is no greater independence than being the very best of who you can be.
    Follow your dream.

Thanks for all the responses.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.