Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Next week I have to deliver a 5 minute presentation in front of my Persuasive Writing class, and honestly just the thought of that is enough to make feel like vomiting. Public speaking is quite frankly, a nightmare for me! I've always had a sort of "stage-fright" so presentations always gives me so much anxiety

Any helpful tips and advice to help me deliver a good presentation without wanting to faint will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Practise. Do it in front of a mirror, but it would be beneficial to do it in front of your family or close friends.

Don't just look at the audience while speaking. Make a few gestures with your hands. Move around the room for a bit. Imagine the audience in their underwear to make you feel less anxious.

Speak in a different accent (this helped me with my anxiety during presentations).

Feel relaxed. Nearly everyone has been in the same position as you.

You'll get used to giving presentations and it will be like second nature to you.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    There's 2 basic things you can do to help, both quite similar. The first is if you're friends with someone in the audience, just focus on them and pretend that you're having a conversation with just them, look around every now and again but still focus on them. The second thing is, if you don't have anyone, then imagine a big pendulum very slowly rocking from side to side just behind the heads of the audience, focus on the pendulum as you speak and ignore everything else. Public speaking is stressful even for people who appear good at it, and trust me when I say you never appear as nervous as you feel. Hope this helps
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2spooky4u)
    Practise. Do it in front of a mirror, but it would be beneficial to do it in front of your family or close friends.

Don't just look at the audience while speaking. Make a few gestures with your hands. Move around the room for a bit. Imagine the audience in their underwear to make you feel less anxious.

Speak in a different accent (this helped me with my anxiety during presentations).

Feel relaxed. Nearly everyone has been in the same position as you.

You'll get used to giving presentations and it will be like second nature to you.

Best of luck
    Yep, I'm definitely going to need to spend time mentally and physically preparing myself lol.. Thank you so much for the advice!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peter Westbury)
    There's 2 basic things you can do to help, both quite similar. The first is if you're friends with someone in the audience, just focus on them and pretend that you're having a conversation with just them, look around every now and again but still focus on them. The second thing is, if you don't have anyone, then imagine a big pendulum very slowly rocking from side to side just behind the heads of the audience, focus on the pendulum as you speak and ignore everything else. Public speaking is stressful even for people who appear good at it, and trust me when I say you never appear as nervous as you feel. Hope this helps
    Thank you so much for the advice!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.