(Original post by ThomH97)
    You want to go to war with Russia?
    He lives in the past.

ReputationRep:
    I’m confused... 😳😳 What am I missing??? 🤔🤔
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It would send a powerful message so yes, I think we should do it. Do not underestimate how much Putin cares about (and depends on) big international events like the Olympics and the World Cup. They help legitimise his position, and given the slump in the Russian economy, endemic corruption and vast inequities, perceived 'Russian greatness' is the only card he has to play to mollify his domestic audience.

That said, it won't happen because the British government is weak and distracted by Brexit. They won't want to do anything that risks upsetting voters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    It would send a powerful message so yes, I think we should do it. Do not underestimate how much Putin cares about (and depends on) big international events like the Olympics and the World Cup. They help legitimise his position, and given the slump in the Russian economy, endemic corruption and vast inequities, perceived 'Russian greatness' is the only card he has to play to mollify his domestic audience.

That said, it won't happen because the British government is weak and distracted by Brexit. They won’t want to do anything that risks upsetting voters.
    Not saying a boycott shouldn't happen, just sounds a bit weak...

When Turkey shot down a Russian jet, Putin seemed to respect that ... not saying that's the right response either though...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Thomas2)
    Not saying a boycott shouldn't happen, just sounds a bit weak...

When Turkey shot down a Russian jet, Putin seemed to respect that ... not saying that's the right response either though...
    I don't know if Putin respects military strength or not but he certainly fears losing his billions, that is where we should concentrate our efforts. We should pass and fully implement the Criminal Finances Bill (UK version of the Magnitsky Act), confiscate Russian assets in the UK and boycott the World Cup. But as I say, whether the British government is strong enough to do any of those things is another matter.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Personally I think no, for a couple of reasons;
    1] We have no proof it was Russia yet and isnt our system meant to be based on the premise 'innocent until proven guilty' ?
    2] It is nothing but petulant, sports is meant to be above the pettiness of international politics
    3] Even if it was Russia this is a ridiculously childish response which will have ZERO materiel impact on them. If you want to make a statement do something of consequence like ejecting 90 diplomats, this is nothing but a puerile display of weakness which will make Moscow laugh.

On the aforementioned point though, to expand slightly on it, if this is seriously the best response the British can muster when someone is poisoned with a nerve agent it to ban some potty football match no wonder the rest of the world giggles when Westminster tries to stamp its feet, its pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    how many nations are in the world cup? 32? or did they raise it?

Either way, putin will not worry about loosing 1. Especially when British audiences will still tune in, in their millions to watch it anyway.

--

Who would this boycott really hurt? Putin won't give a ****. The russian people won't care about missing one team.. the rest of the world don't want to watch us play football...

the only people this would hurt is your everyday british family person who is looking forward to watching the world cup. The kids at school, who (unlike us older people) will actually be super excited, thinking we may actually win.. It will hurt the pubs who rely on income from showing the games, and the predominantly working-class football audiences who miss their entertainment.

--

It is a stupid policy.

(oh, and for anyone that was watching question time.. that awful labour MP who kept bleeting on about the power of diplomacy. She kept mentioning how you don't need force/military strength to show power/strength.. yeah, I would love to see her sit down in a room with putin and try and negotiate anything.)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The England football team is not pulling out of the World Cup. It's sensationalist, misleading nonsense peddled by certain news sources desperate for a few extra clicks.

FIFA has strict laws preventing state interference in national football teams and it's already been clarified that Boris meant that the politicians, sponsors and other corporate attendees may not attend - not the footballers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    The England football team is not pulling out of the World Cup. It's sensationalist, misleading nonsense peddled by certain news sources desperate for a few extra clicks.

FIFA has strict laws preventing state interference in national football teams and it's already been clarified that Boris meant that the politicians, sponsors and other corporate attendees may not attend - not the footballers.
    I would have boycotted 2018 and 2022 without this attempted Murder case after finding out the votes were bought for the next two world cups and the human rights problems in Russia and Qatar
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    FIFA is a corrupt organisation, WE should be hosting the world cup this year.

Nothing happened when Litvinenko, someone who actually worked with british intelligence died and nothing will happen again. Boris plays a big act but hes always been an opportunistic spineless clown. If we did boycott the world cup he'd lose his core brexit supporters and thats not something he'd allow.

If britain had a spine and we respected ourselves as a sovereign nation, we'd be rolling out sanctions and banning russians from getting a visa here. But we're not.

ReputationRep:
    We will only get humiliated anyway XD

If we were going to boycot countries due to their *****y behaviour we would have boycotted many other countries by now.

(Original post by sr90)

I didn't realise FIFA was as powerful as nation states.

That means sod all. A country could easily overide those "strick laws".

ReputationRep:
    It's a stupid response because it's dragging sport in to politics... and we all know what happens when we do that. We should try and talk about it, or worst case scenario find a political solution. But pulling out of the world cup would be stupid, especially so after all of the money we have spent on training, the qualifiers etc.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Napp)
    3] Even if it was Russia this is a ridiculously childish response which will have ZERO materiel impact on them. If you want to make a statement do something of consequence like ejecting 90 diplomats, this is nothing but a puerile display of weakness which will make Moscow laugh.

On the aforementioned point though, to expand slightly on it, if this is seriously the best response the British can muster when someone is poisoned with a nerve agent it to ban some potty football match no wonder the rest of the world giggles when Westminster tries to stamp its feet, its pathetic.
    It would have a greater impact than the expelling of diplomats for the reasons I gave in my post.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    That means sod all. A country could easily overide those "strick laws".
    And risk not only the wrath of the public, but huge sanctions from FIFA to the FA and a likely ban from future tournaments?

It's not happening.

ReputationRep:
    We'll only get to quarter finals anyway so less upsetting if we 'boycott'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomas2)
    I mean really? Surely we can do better.
    Agreed. Putin has ordered this latest outrage because he believes the UK is weak and wishes to publicly underline that as part of his bizarre 'election campaign', which is utterly rigged already.

The real question is how to deal with a state which has been taken over by gangsters. We should be very firm indeed is part of the answer. We should do everything we can to reach out to those people there who dissent and try to oppose it, who are met with brutal repression. We should stop the gang members from being able to launder their stolen money in London by buying up property.

All Russians living in the UK or owning properties here should be forced to reveal how they obtained their wealth. A panel of experts could swiftly adjudicate each case and determine that most of it is stolen. In those cases, the Russians should be deported and their property (all of it - including all those dodgy bank accounts the City bankers are busy lying about) should be seized and the proceeds invested in things such as cyberterrorism-countering and innovative methods of assisting dissent in Russia.

Flights to Russia should be blocked anyway and we should be breaking off diplomatic relations. We should be advising EU members to end their reliance on Russian gas and moving swiftly to end our own.

These are just examples of the kinds of actions that should be taken. However, we have a governing party that has accepted almost £1m in donations from Russian oligarchs in recent years, so I won't hold my breath.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Agreed. Putin has ordered this latest outrage because he believes the UK is weak and wishes to publicly underline that as part of his bizarre 'election campaign', which is utterly rigged already.

The real question is how to deal with a state which has been taken over by gangsters. We should be very firm indeed is part of the answer. We should do everything we can to reach out to those people there who dissent and try to oppose it, who are met with brutal repression. We should stop the gang members from being able to launder their stolen money in London by buying up property.

All Russians living in the UK or owning properties here should be forced to reveal how they obtained their wealth. A panel of experts could swiftly adjudicate each case and determine that most of it is stolen. In those cases, the Russians should be deported and their property (all of it - including all those dodgy bank accounts the City bankers are busy lying about) should be seized and the proceeds invested in things such as cyberterrorism-countering and innovative methods of assisting dissent in Russia.

Flights to Russia should be blocked anyway and we should be breaking off diplomatic relations. We should be advising EU members to end their reliance on Russian gas and moving swiftly to end our own.

These are just examples of the kinds of actions that should be taken. However, we have a governing party that has accepted almost £1m in donations from Russian oligarchs in recent years, so I won't hold my breath.
    Glad you agree with me
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Nope not unless they have very good proof and also lots of other people joined the boycott as well. It would need the EU and to join in.

If it really is the Russians and they have assassinated someone again on UK soil with a chemical attack that risked UK citizens, then its tricky for the UK. I dont think the EU or the US is reliable.

The only other options would be sanctions.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.