Passive euthanasia vs withdrawing life support

Watch
iramh_
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi! Can someone please clarify the difference between passive euthanasia and withdrawing life support? I don't understand because passive euthanasia is illegal but withdrawing life support is allowed, however isn't withdrawing life support a form of passive euthanasia?
Thanks in advance!!
username2908878
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The NHS would be very careful to distinguish the two , they do not say that the two are the same... they dismiss passive euthanasia and say it is not necessary because of palliative care (in terms of the withdrawal of life sustaining treatment).

Palliative care is another can of worms though, it’s not meant to hasten or prolong death (according to the WHOs definition)... just ease a person as they naturally die. However this is where the doctrine of double effect comes into play, because say a person needs to be very heavily medicated in order to be pain free... the medicine could be hastening the death and therefore passively euthanising the patient.

Basically , there is no really difference when you look into especially if you study healthcare ethics.
iramh_
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Supernova36)
The NHS would be very careful to distinguish the two , they do not say that the two are the same... they dismiss passive euthanasia and say it is not necessary because of palliative care (in terms of the withdrawal of life sustaining treatment).

Palliative care is another can of worms though, it’s not meant to hasten or prolong death (according to the WHOs definition)... just ease a person as they naturally die. However this is where the doctrine of double effect comes into play, because say a person needs to be very heavily medicated in order to be pain free... the medicine could be hastening the death and therefore passively euthanising the patient.

Basically , there is no really difference when you look into especially if you study healthcare ethics.
Thank you! If I were to explain this at an interview, would it be correct to say that withdrawing life support is based on the patient and their family's decision. By that, removing it would be to remove treatment that the patient no longer consents for and perhaps, dying is a consequence of this. In contract, passive euthanasia would be to withdraw treatment with the intention of ending the life of the patient and that is why it is illegal?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.93%
I'm not sure (16)
3.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (148)
33.48%
I have already dropped out (7)
1.58%
I'm not a current university student (205)
46.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed