Turn on thread page Beta

Mature student. Going back into education funding and working etc .. watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I’m 25 at the minute and I’m leaving my job in a months time to go travelling for a year. When I come back I want to go to college to do veterinary nursing or uni but would need to go back to college to get a biology a level If I went to uni. On the college website it only comes up the course being a full time one which I have no problems with other than funding would I be eligible for a student loan? And as it’s full time would there be no chance of me being able to get a job outside of the course ... any help would be much appreciated especially from people who have done this course! Thank you
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by 7Alex7)
    Hello,
    I’m 25 at the minute and I’m leaving my job in a months time to go travelling for a year. When I come back I want to go to college to do veterinary nursing or uni but would need to go back to college to get a biology a level If I went to uni. On the college website it only comes up the course being a full time one which I have no problems with other than funding would I be eligible for a student loan? And as it’s full time would there be no chance of me being able to get a job outside of the course ... any help would be much appreciated especially from people who have done this course! Thank you
    Hi 7Alex7,

I just need to ask a few questions in order to help you out there.

Are you looking to find out what funding you could receive for the A levels or the veterinary nursing degree? (or both).

Have you ever studied at college or degree level before?

If so, what qualification did you gain?

Thanks very much,

John.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John B SFE)
    Hi 7Alex7,

I just need to ask a few questions in order to help you out there.

Are you looking to find out what funding you could receive for the A levels or the veterinary nursing degree? (or both).

Have you ever studied at college or degree level before?

If so, what qualification did you gain?

Thanks very much,

John.
    Hi John,
    I’m swaying more towards college to do the diploma, I’ve heard it’s more hands on which is what I would prefer. I’m wondering if I could get funding for the course and a student loan of some sort as it’s a full time course. I’ll be 26 when I eventually do the course so a weekend job won’t be enough for bills etc.. I’ve already studied at college level I have enough GCSEs for the course and I have a couple AS level qualifications no A levels as I didn’t complete sixth form to the very end. (Stupid I know) haha.

Thanks.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi John,
    I’m swaying more towards college to do the diploma, I’ve heard it’s more hands on which is what I would prefer. I’m wondering if I could get funding for the course and a student loan of some sort as it’s a full time course. I’ll be 26 when I eventually do the course so a weekend job won’t be enough for bills etc.. I’ve already studied at college level I have enough GCSEs for the course and I have a couple AS level qualifications no A levels as I didn’t complete sixth form to the very end. (Stupid I know) haha.

Thanks.
    Hi 7Alex7

Can I ask what is the level of qualification that you are looking at, is it a HNC or HND ?

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rona SFE)
    Hi 7Alex7

Can I ask what is the level of qualification that you are looking at, is it a HNC or HND ?

Thanks Rona
    Hi,
    I don’t think it’s either I’ve just checked and it’s a level 3 diploma. The HNC or HND looks like it comes under level 4 and level 5 :s I think!

Thanks.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi,
    I don’t think it’s either I’ve just checked and it’s a level 3 diploma. The HNC or HND looks like it comes under level 4 and level 5 :s I think!

Thanks.
    Hi Alex,

Thanks for answering that.

SFE don't provide funding for courses below level 4, however, you may able to receive funding from 'Advanced Leaner Loans'. Here is an overview of the funding and eligibility. You can also give them a call on 0300 100 0619 for any questions not covered there.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John B SFE)
    Hi Alex,

Thanks for answering that.

SFE don't provide funding for courses below level 4, however, you may able to receive funding from 'Advanced Leaner Loans'. Here is an overview of the funding and eligibility. You can also give them a call on 0300 100 0619 for any questions not covered there.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.
    Thank you very much!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Thank you very much!
    You're very welcome.

Best of luck with your studies.

John.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.