A level Maths Integration Watch

Yodalam
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi,

I was just wondering how you would know what method of integration to use for different types of equations. For example, I can’t decide whether to use integration by parts or substitution or the reverse chain rule. Are there any tricks or is it just all practise?

Thanks a lot
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
RDKGames
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Yodalam)
Hi,

I was just wondering how you would know what method of integration to use for different types of equations. For example, I can’t decide whether to use integration by parts or substitution or the reverse chain rule. Are there any tricks or is it just all practise?

Thanks a lot
IBP when you're integrating a product of two different functions. Try to use substitution if there is something to substitute for and its derivative is there as well.

Difficult to say definitely what to use all the time, but yeah, you get it with practice.

What would be the best approach for \displaystyle 2\int xe^{x^2}.dx?
NotNotBatman
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Yodalam)
Hi,

Thanks a lot
First if it's a fraction, try to make it a partial fraction
Integration by;
inspection
substitution
parts

in that order.

If you can't do it by inspection try a substitution, if that fails, try a u-sub, and if that's going nowhere integration by parts. After going through this process, you won't have to after a while and can see that when a sub will fail in your head.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (52)
28.89%
No - I got the required grades (105)
58.33%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.78%

Watched Threads