Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Looking to build a cheap gaming PC which can play Fortnite, Call of Duty and CS:GO. I don't have much money and don't know much about parts tbh, will £300-400 suffice? Sorry for sounding like a noob.

I'm not big on part names and stuff but I can tell you that cs:go and Fortnite will run on a potato and COD won't take a massive amount to run on medium settings. £300 will more than likely do the job then put the other £100 towards accessories i.e. monitor, keyboard etc.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    £400 is just about doable, providing you already have peripherals like a mouse, keyboard and monitor. If you need to buy those as well, you'll be pushing it.

Buying the most modern hardware isn't really going to be an option either at that budget, especially for reliable components like the CPU and GPU you'd benefit from buying used parts off eBay.

I'm too lazy to try and put a build together atm but if you're interested in building your own machine and don't really know what you need then it's in your best interest to do your own research first and work out what you need. To give you an idea on a parts list:
    CPU (probably an i3 or old i5 at this budget, maybe a cheap AMD equivalent)
    CPU cooler (check clearance sizes with your case and mounting type, cheap AIO water cooling is an option)
    GPU (In terms of modern cards it'd be something like a 1050 but you're better off getting a used low end 900 series card or something from AMD)
    Motherboard (Entry level ATX sized board is probably cheapest, be careful with socket types as you need one that matches your CPU)
    Case (Since you'll probably have an ATX mobo, you'll want a mid or full size case. Mid will be cheaper)
    Power Supply (Worth spending money here to buy from a reputable brand, doesn't need to be super powerful though, something like 500W will be more than enough)
    RAM (8GB is ideal, check if you need DDR3 or DDR4 based on your motherboard)
    Storage (HDD or SSD, probably going to be a single 1TB HDD at this price point)

Besides that, you may need to consider a wireless adapter if you don't have Ethernet and case fans in the unlikely event the case you buy doesn't come with any or you want something better

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
    CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£87.88 @ Box Limited)
    Motherboard: MSI - B350M PRO-VDH Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£61.97 @ Ebuyer)
    Memory: Team - Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£89.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Storage: Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£65.97 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Fractal Design - Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£30.97 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£47.92 @ Box Limited)
    Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link - TL-WN881ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter (£11.97 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £396.67 Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-03-11 10:53 GMT+0000

This is about as good as it will get in terms of an upgrade-able system.

CPU: Probably the best thing on the budget market, it's a CPU which is equivalent to most i5's up to about 7th gen and has an integrated GPU capable of running most games at 720p (games such as CS:GO will run absolutely fine).

Motherboard: Cheap reputable motherboard which will simply "work". You can overclock your CPU on this for extra performance but as it is low end, you won't be able to push it too much. Made sure there are 4 RAM slots for future upgrades

RAM: Ryzen APU's like fast RAM and this can greatly increase your performance which is why I went with DDR4-3000, a relatively high end set.

Storage: Whilst it is small, this is the most easily upgraded part of your computer so I'm sure you'll be fine with it. As it is an SSD, this will be the most significant performance increase over a larger HDD. Well worth the sacrifice of cost and speed in my opinion.

Case: Cheap case which is small and perfect for your needs.

PSU: The cheapest PSU I'd go for before you start to get to the slightly unreliable units. 450W is more than enough for any future upgrades (such as a mid-range GPU).

WiFi Adapter: Should be fine but you can remove it if you're on a wired connection.

There are a few things I'd like to say about this build, first off, you can probably grab a cheap, used tower PC off somewhere and stick a GPU inside. However, looking at the games you play, this will play them absolutely fine so I'd get the latest parts and upgrade it in the future. This system can have its internals easily upgraded. RAM is just a case of slotting a few sticks in, CPU can be upgraded to new ones in future (although currently it's actually pretty fast) and a GPU can be slotted in later on.

(Original post by AkshayManjunath)
    Looking to build a cheap gaming PC which can play Fortnite, Call of Duty and CS:GO. I don't have much money and don't know much about parts tbh, will £300-400 suffice? Sorry for sounding like a noob.
    As above, £400 is doable. £300 used to be vaguely achievable but not with the price of RAM these days.

For £400 I threw this build together. The Pentium G4560 has been the top choice for ultra budget builds for a while now because it's basically an i3 with a different name, Intel even increased the price due to its popularity until Ryzen 3 got released and allowed the price to drop back down. 8GB of RAM and a 1TB hard drive are the minimums you want to go for there, and then from there I chose the cheapest compatible components without making compromises (e.g everything is from a reputable manufacturer, the power supply is still rated 80+ bronze for efficiency, etc) for everything but the graphics card, which I devoted the rest of the remaining budget to. If you can stretch to £450 I would strongly recommend switching out the GPU to a 1050ti.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2018
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.