Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

"Shoot all the blue jays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird." - Harper Lee

This Grow Your Grades blog does not focus on all my subject grades in general. Whilst I am doing subjects at GCSE such as Economics, French, Biology, Maths and so on, I am not writing this blog for all of these subjects like many other Grow Your Grades blogs; I am writing this blog to focus on one subject. One subject so nerve-wracking, so menacing, so traumatic that I shake at the thought of it.

English.

Liked that use of hyperbolic anaphora?

To be more concise, as my English teacher constantly tells me to be, I will cut straight to the chase: this blog is focusing on my GCSE English Literature and English Language grades. At the moment, I am doing quite a few subjects at GCSE which need a good grasp of English vocabulary and knowledge, such as English, Drama, History, Economics and so on. Therefore, I am going to use this blog to focus on my English grades and work I do, and also to improve my vocabulary.

Furthermore, I want to widen my volumes of reading. When I was younger, I would read and read and read (cheeky tricolon use ) to procrastinate my work, and after reading for seven hours straight, I would find, still staring down at me (ooooh metaphor ), that huge pile of work that I had to do was still there. Because of this, I want to use this blog to try and motivate me to read and learn new vocabulary which will hopefully improve my grades.

So, if you want to follow this blog and see me get my GCSE English Koalifications (hence the name; yes, you will get a pun or two in this blog as well), please feel free to watch as I try to regularly update. If I post book reviews - which I will - any spoilers will be in the spoiler tag, so click the spoiler tags at your own discretion!

Go on, you know you want to!

Books I Have Read, Am Reading, And Want to Read:

Spoiler:
    Show

I have read...
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell

I am currently reading...
    Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (at school)

I want to read...
    To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding
    The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

Oh, and for those who prefer music to books...

The Greatest Song:

Spoiler:
    Show

hehe

This looks good
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starfab)
    This looks good
    Thanks, I hope it will encourage me to read and learn new vocab more since I haven't read for a while. If you have any suggestions, please let me know!

ReputationRep:

BOOK ONE:

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell

Summary: 1984 tells the shocking story of a dystopian future in which the totalitarian 'Party' government is in constant power through their tyrannical government surveillance, fearmongering and propaganda. The book follows protagonist Winston Smith, a secret rebel against the Party and for what it stands for.

Why I Chose This Book: At school, we read Animal Farm as one of our GCSE English Literature texts. Because of this, I thought that I would read Nineteen Eighty-Four, also by George Orwell, to get a firmer grasp on his style and on his themes, which are somewhat similar in the books (the ideas of totalitarian and tyrannical leaders, propaganda, dystopian societies, etc.)

What I Thought: This book is very different to many books that I have read, and it really makes you think. The book is split into three sections, and for me, the final section (part three) was not only my favourite bit but the most shocking and moving section, especially with
    Spoiler:
    Show

O'Brien trying to change Winston's feelings and knowledge, breaking him down until he even betrays Julia in Room 101.

Whilst I found the book incredibly thought-provoking and quite wearying, as it creates a small fear of a dystopian future that could become reality as presented in 1984, there are points when the plot drags along as not much happens, which decreased my enjoyment. However, despite these few moments, I think it was a fantastic book to read and very enjoyable!

Best Bit(s): For me, the final part was definitely the best bit, because of the demonstration of power and tyranny that is displayed
    Spoiler:
    Show

In Room 101 and before that by O'Brien.

I enjoyed this part so much that I finished it in less than 24 hours, compared to Part Two which took me a month or two (yes, you heard that right... I had no motivation to read it then and found the Goldstein book very boring). However, Part One is also very entertaining, although Part Three holds the top spot in my opinion. Furthermore, the shocking twists that occurred, and the ending, both help to create tension, and that makes this book a real page turner.

Worst Bit(s): In Part Two, in which Winston reads Goldstein's book, I got incredibly bored. This was the hardest section for me to read, as not only did I find it hard to understand, but I just found it incredibly dull (because it lacks any sort of action or emotion). However, if you wish to read 1984 (and I recommend you do), you should not skip past Goldstein's book because it clarifies many important points about the Party which will be useful to know in the events that follow Winston reading the book (ooh, mystery ).

Final Rating: 4/5 - I would definitely recommend reading this.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.