Turn on thread page Beta

Applying for an MRes without meeting entry requirements - help! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, first post.

I graduated with a Physics Bsc in 2016 and I've been working full time (job not related to my degree) since then. However, I desire to return to doing research in this area, specifically in astrophysics.

The uni I previously studied at offers a relevant MRes, but I'm holding myself back from applying as I have a third and the programme asks for a 2:1 minimum. I applied for and received extenuating circumstances at various points during my degree (including completing the course over a longer period of time than usual) so I guess there should still be a record of this.

When I got in touch with the department the pg admissions assistant suggested I contact the academic admissions tutor and explain my situation.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice about what I should ask the tutor in order to work out whether I have a chance of getting onto the course - I don't know whether being upfront about my degree result would immediately tip the scales against me and have an effect on my application if I decide to apply anyway. I'd also be interested to hear if anyone else has been in this situation. Thanks in advance.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Jebjebjebjeb)
    Hi all, first post.

I graduated with a Physics Bsc in 2016 and I've been working full time (job not related to my degree) since then. However, I desire to return to doing research in this area, specifically in astrophysics.

The uni I previously studied at offers a relevant MRes, but I'm holding myself back from applying as I have a third and the programme asks for a 2:1 minimum. I applied for and received extenuating circumstances at various points during my degree (including completing the course over a longer period of time than usual) so I guess there should still be a record of this.

When I got in touch with the department the pg admissions assistant suggested I contact the academic admissions tutor and explain my situation.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice about what I should ask the tutor in order to work out whether I have a chance of getting onto the course - I don't know whether being upfront about my degree result would immediately tip the scales against me and have an effect on my application if I decide to apply anyway. I'd also be interested to hear if anyone else has been in this situation. Thanks in advance.
    You have to be upfront about your degree result but it would help for them to know about the whole situation so ask how they'd view you as an application and if they have any advice for strengthening your application.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.