The Student Room Group

The best time of your life?

Growing up, I always heard that University would be the best time of your life. That you would meet your life-long friends, potential partners, and do things you'll never get to do again. I thought it would change my life if I went, because that's what I was made to believe.

Perhaps, for some of us, University will never be that. I'm almost at the end of my first year and whilst I have 'friends', I haven't met anyone I really clicked with. I joined almost all the clubs and societies I had interest in, but the people there weren't really as social as I had hoped, and it was hard to get to know them properly. People formed their social groups quick, and I never felt like I really fit in with any of them.

I didn't go to the University I orginally applied for (personal reasons) and I feel like that's partly the reason why I feel so... unfulfilled? My uni is in a very, very small place and it's hard to really do anything here. The course itself is great and there's nothing wrong with the uni. I don't know why but I just feel like I'm wasting away here - that I'm wasting these 'wonderful times' I'm supposed to be having.

In short, I feel lonely, isolated, and disappointed with uni so far. I wonder if there's something wrong with me, that I'm not enjoying this experience as much as everyone else? I desperately hoped I would. Perhaps I just came to the wrong University, with the wrong type of people, in the wrong city?

I'm mostly just looking forward to finishing my degree. I'm scared about the future, but I'm also really hoping that it has more to offer than this.

It feels *****y to know everyone else is having the time of their lives whilst you're wishing you were somewhere else; knowing you can't say the same things in the future as they can - "Oh yeah, University was amazing. I met so many wonderful people and wouldn't change it for the world".

Life goes on, right? Surely uni can't be 'that' only moment in your life?
Original post by Hannah_Vi
Growing up, I always heard that University would be the best time of your life. That you would meet your life-long friends, potential partners, and do things you'll never get to do again. I thought it would change my life if I went, because that's what I was made to believe.

Perhaps, for some of us, University will never be that. I'm almost at the end of my first year and whilst I have 'friends', I haven't met anyone I really clicked with. I joined almost all the clubs and societies I had interest in, but the people there weren't really as social as I had hoped, and it was hard to get to know them properly. People formed their social groups quick, and I never felt like I really fit in with any of them.

I didn't go to the University I orginally applied for (personal reasons) and I feel like that's partly the reason why I feel so... unfulfilled? My uni is in a very, very small place and it's hard to really do anything here. The course itself is great and there's nothing wrong with the uni. I don't know why but I just feel like I'm wasting away here - that I'm wasting these 'wonderful times' I'm supposed to be having.

In short, I feel lonely, isolated, and disappointed with uni so far. I wonder if there's something wrong with me, that I'm not enjoying this experience as much as everyone else? I desperately hoped I would. Perhaps I just came to the wrong University, with the wrong type of people, in the wrong city?

I'm mostly just looking forward to finishing my degree. I'm scared about the future, but I'm also really hoping that it has more to offer than this.

It feels *****y to know everyone else is having the time of their lives whilst you're wishing you were somewhere else; knowing you can't say the same things in the future as they can - "Oh yeah, University was amazing. I met so many wonderful people and wouldn't change it for the world".

Life goes on, right? Surely uni can't be 'that' only moment in your life?

I’m also in my first year of uni at a top London institution and I can relate to you WORD FOR WORD. There are so many internationals at my uni and they’ve already formed social groups. My “friends” aren’t really friends, I’d like to have found a life partner but nope, not happened and won’t happen probably. I feel like a loner , despite trying my hardest to speak to everyone and fit in. Everyone seems to have it so easy with friends, wealth etc and I’m struggling with the work and fearful of exams and exam results.
I feel like I’ve been sold a dream but in reality it’s entirely different- wish I could go back to sixth form.

Apologies for pretty much repeating you but need to sometimes let out some steam with someone who knows the feeling!

So yes life does go on. I see it as 2 years till graduation and a full time job and these next 2 years will fly by. Might meet a life companion at work, and hopefully can make proper friends at work ( which will happen as everyone is mature and welcoming ) At the end of the day, everyone is struggling with something but they give the persona that it’s all well. Don’t forget ur end motivation and remind yourself why you wake up and work so hard- for you, for your parents etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending