Turn on thread page Beta

I am not invited to any big events and always left out of meetings – with everyone from my own, mini team attending with the exception of me. There seems to be another member of the team – a year younger than me -- who seems to get all the accolades and is senior and as a result quite bossy.
    There seems to be no progression for me. I have been promoted once in the team, but if I want to go higher there is nothing for me.
    There is a manager who snaps at people, *****es about people in the office – yet says that I need to be disciplined when I say something relatively trivial around the office. There is another person who flirts with a girl and then makes inappropriate comments and jokes at my expense. There is another person who treats me like his secretary and then berates me to the point where they had to change my line manager; I believe he was trying to not have my contract extended at one point. He also sent emails ****ging me off to everyone concerned when I said something inappropriate in the office... There is a manager who does nothing and is all hypocritical-- saying that he is supportive of my comments and observations and then denying it a couple of months down the line. I feel the responses to my behaviour are so exaggerated when all of the above are occurring.

My manager says continuously that this is not the right team for me and the culture is toxic – but he and another constantly say that I am often the instigator.

I don’t know what to do anymore; there are no jobs at my level in the organisation at current (being pre-financial year). I don't know how to be assertive.

Anyone?

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I am not invited to any big events and always left out of meetings – with everyone from my own, mini team attending with the exception of me. There seems to be another member of the team – a year younger than me -- who seems to get all the accolades and is senior and as a result quite bossy.
    There seems to be no progression for me. I have been promoted vvonce in the team, but if I want to go higher there is nothing for me.
    There is a manager who snaps at people, *****es about people in the office – yet says that I need to be disciplined when I say something relatively trivial around the office. There is another person who flirts with a girl and then makes inappropriate comments and jokes at my expense. There is another person who treats me like his secretary and then berates me to the point where they had to change my line manager; I believe he was trying to not have my contract extended at one point. He also sent emails ****ging me off to everyone concerned when I said something inappropriate in the office... There is a manager who does nothing and is all hypocritical-- saying that he is supportive of my comments and observations and then denying it a couple of months down the line. I feel the responses to my behaviour are so exaggerated when all of the above are occurring.

My manager says continuously that this is not the right team for me and the culture is toxic – but he and another constantly say that I am often the instigator.

I don’t know what to do anymore; there are no jobs at my level in the organisation at current (being pre-financial year). I don't know how to be assertive.
    Anyone

Anyone

ReputationRep:
    There seems to be no progression for me. I have been promoted once in the team, but if I want to go higher there is nothing for me.

Look for another job.

(Original post by Muttley79)
    Look for another job.
    Nothing around at current.

Just whip out your willy and show them whose daddy
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Just whip out your willy and show them whose daddy
    Mature..

(Original post by Muttley79)
    Look for another job.
    I did say that towards the end...

ReputationRep:
    I did say that towards the end...
    Sorry you're going through this shiz my man. If there is really no one on the work force u can trust it may be best to try and be moved or just quit entirely. i know that may not be an option but if its seriously effecting your mental health then is it worth it? If u really need the money then for now best try to keep your head down and give no reason for them to **** you off. Keep trying to look for other job openings, even if they offer a lower wage it sounds better than what you're doing

(Original post by mikey spears)
    Sorry you're going through this shiz my man. If there is really no one on the work force u can trust it may be best to try and be moved or just quit entirely. i know that may not be an option but if its seriously effecting your mental health then is it worth it? If u really need the money then for now best try to keep your head down and give no reason for them to **** you off. Keep trying to look for other job openings, even if they offer a lower wage it sounds better than what you're doing

I am going mad and reached the end..
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Anyone?
    Hi. I'm going to move this over to the relationships section. You can still post anon there.

(Original post by Kindred)
    Hi. I'm going to move this over to the relationships section. You can still post anon there.
    Thanks!

Want to comment on it yourself?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Thanks!

Want to comment on it yourself?
    Honestly from the sounds of it it's just a nasty place and you'd be better off looking for other places.
    Do you have an HR team who you can talk to? They should be able to help.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by Kindred)
    Honestly from the sounds of it it's just a nasty place and you'd be better off looking for other places.
    Do you have an HR team who you can talk to? They should be able to help.
    I have started the informal HR process, but its a culture and I am just one person...

ReputationRep:
    My advice would be not to quit right now. There are countless people who have been in your position, and I think you'll find that the vast majority of them who go on to be properly successful do not quit at this stage.

The reason they treat you like this is either because they see you as a threat or beneath them. There are many ways you can deal with this directly but discreetly without going through a HR process.

If you require any advice on what to do in the specific situations you mentioned then feel free to pm me.

Good luck

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.