Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone currently studying this course there and would like to share their opinion please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaochan)
    Im stuck deciding between Southampton and Durham for CS. Southampton seems to have some of the best facilities for computer science where as Durham is a much more reputable/prestigious university in general. I was also hoping a current student at Durham could give us some insight into what CS and the department is like at Durham.
    Oh nice. Where else did you apply? Durham is prestigious but ive heard that the lectures for CS and department as a whole isnt really what its made out to be which is why im having doubts. Plus their course seems to be a lot more theory based

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaochan)
    Lol Ive actually got offers for pharmacy but have had a whole change of heart to CS since I applied and have withdrawn my application and just looking into computer science universities now, any suggestions?
    I wont mention specific unis as everyone has a different preference but look really carefully at their courses and what modules they offer and dont just focus on their position in the league tables. Are you looking to apply for 2019 entry?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Samiik)
    Oh nice. Where else did you apply? Durham is prestigious but ive heard that the lectures for CS and department as a whole isnt really what its made out to be which is why im having doubts. Plus their course seems to be a lot more theory based
    CS isn't Durham's flagship course. That's not to say it's bad, though.

In my opinion, any CS degree worth doing is theory based. Go into an apprenticeship if you want to skip the theory and go straight into programming.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.