Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    There are two unis I'm considering, and with A levels looming, the decision is stressing me out so I need to get it out of the way. The benefits/disadvantages of each uni I'm considering are below. Btw I've applied to study history

Uni A- Cambridge
    Work is extremely tough going- 12 essays in an 8 week term
    Highly prestigious
    Learn valuable skills- how to work very hard/under pressure
    High level of mental illness due to stress
    High entry requirements (A*AA)
    Have to be catered (I prefer self-catered massively more, as I'm used to budgeting and spending more than £1 on a meal pains me)
    £3500 bursary per year (10,500)

Uni B- Edinburgh
    Work is spread out
    Option to choose modules from other subjects in first couple of years
    Northern
    Lowered entry requirements (ABB)
    Can be self catered
    4 year course
    Bursary of £7000 per year (£28,000 in total over 4 years, which could be saved to safeguard me for a couple of years at least after uni in case I can't find work I like)
    The bursary is ONLY available if they are my firm choice

Which uni would you pick? A or B?
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    From the way you're talking about them it sounds like you're leaning towards Uni B. Whether consciously or subconsciously.

Go for what works best for you. Not what looks best on paper.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    What two unis are these?

ReputationRep:
    Definitely B. You don't want to spend the next 3 years not enjoying yourself.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I would choose uni B.

Greater bursary and self catered and probably the same grad prospects as uni A.

ReputationRep:
    Feel like A is an Oxbridge one..

Pick whichever one you feel you can handle the best, and remember, it's you who has to go through the course, so do be realistic on which one to pick!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    What two unis are these?

I wanted some opinions without anyone knowing which unis they were, but oh well, I knew people would ask.
    A is Cambridge and B is Edinburgh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munkysox)
    I wanted some opinions without anyone knowing which unis they were, but oh well, I knew people would ask.
    Holy donkey ****, didn't know Edinburgh had such generous scholarships!

If the stress is meeting the entry requirements, Cantab as firm and Ed as insurance. If you purely are scared by the academic rigour, bugger off to Ed. If you want loadsamoney (though I am not sure what you want to spend it on), choose Ed though £3500 is going to be sufficient to live comfortably in Cantab.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    Holy donkey ****, didn't know Edinburgh had such generous scholarships!

If the stress is meeting the entry requirements, Cantab as firm and Ed as insurance. If you purely are scared by the academic rigour, bugger off to Ed. If you want loadsamoney (though I am not sure what you want to spend it on), choose Ed though £3500 is going to be sufficient to live comfortably in Cantab.
    Yeah they are really good for scholarships for low-income families- I think it's mainly because a lot of students get put off by the fact it's 4 years. The money isn't for me to live on-I'm really good at money and I'll not even spend all of my maintenance loan. I'm going to save it whichever one I go to in case I can't get a job after uni for a while

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking at this point I'll probably go for Edinburgh but if I tell my mam that she'll probably disown me haha- and my college won't be too happy either. Then again, it's my life I guess

ReputationRep:
    There are two unis I'm considering, and with A levels looming, the decision is stressing me out so I need to get it out of the way. The benefits/disadvantages of each uni I'm considering are below. Btw I've applied to study history

Uni A-
    Work is extremely tough going- 12 essays in an 8 week term
    Highly prestigious
    Unlikely to get a high grade in my degree due to competition
    Learn valuable skills- how to work very hard/under pressure
    High level of mental illness due to stress
    High entry requirements (A*AA)
    Have to be catered (I prefer self-catered massively more, as I'm used to budgeting and spending more than £1 on a meal pains me)
    £3500 bursary per year (10,500)

Uni B-
    Work is spread out
    Option to choose modules from other subjects in first couple of years
    Northern
    More likely to get a higher grade at degree level
    Lowered entry requirements (ABB)
    Can be self catered
    4 year course
    Bursary of £7000 per year (£28,000 in total over 4 years, which could be saved to safeguard me for a couple of years at least after uni in case I can't find work I like)
    The bursary is ONLY available if they are my firm choice

Which uni would you pick? A or B?
    Although the situation at Edinburgh seems to be a little bit better in terms of finances and academia. I would still recommend you to go to Cambridge. All Uni's I would say are at a level playing field in terms of prestige but Oxbridge are on a different level and it really will benefit you for life.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Congratulations on having the opportunity to make such a difficult decision! Is there any way to visit either of them? Like other posters have said, it sounds like Edinburgh is what you're leaning towards, and it does sound like you've got an amazing offer! However, visiting I think would give you a greater overall view and a way to really settle on which one suits you most.

As for prestige and which one would set you up for a better career--there are great opportunities built into Oxbridge. However, to be successful in your career you need to be proactive regardless of which uni you're at. No one is going to be do anything for you--at either uni!

ReputationRep:
    Go Cambridge.. a lot of people wish they were in the situation you were in. Although it seems like money wise Edinburgh is the right choice rn - don't make it. Going Cambridge sets u up in terms of networking which is far more valuable than money

ReputationRep:
    What GCSE's did you get? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Both have their benefits, but at the end of the day it depends what you're looking for. It seems to me like you're much more keen on Edinburgh as there's not really a negative in there, and you seem to be worrying about the stress of Cambridge. If you're confident you'll get the entry requirements, I'd say Cambridge if you think you'll be happy there. It's a fantastic opportunity. Otherwise, Edinburgh is a really good uni, a nice city, and you'll be well off financially with that bursary compared to a lot of students. Try and get a visit at both if possible before you decide, but whichever you choose I'm sure you'll be in a good position for the future.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I would say firstly to pick the one you would feel most comfortable and happiest attending, which sounds like B (Edinburgh). As a second point, Edinburgh has a reputation and academic quality close to if not on par with Oxbridge. You won't be measurably disadvantaged by going to Edinburgh by any stretch of the imagination.

Oxbridge may tick a couple of boxes for certain future prospects, this may not even be relevant to you (and Edinburgh at least half ticks these as well anyway ). If you prefer Edinburgh and think it would be better for you, go there! A 1st/2:1 from Edinburgh with happy memories is far better than a 2:2 or 3rd from Oxbridge with a very negative time - and your emotional state will affect your academic performance.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    University A looks like it'll offer you a better education, pushing you further to do well. However you obviously have to work for it and considering you said that "you are unlikely to do well because it is competitive" I'm not sure you have the right mindset for that right now.

University B sounds like the better place to live overall and since you only spend a few hours each week at university and maybe half your time on your degree, it makes more sense to go somewhere that you'll enjoy the majority of the time. This is the one I would personally choose based on the information available but there's other things I'd want to know in detail before deciding (actually seeing accommodation, meeting teachers, etc.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s.m30)
    What GCSE's did you get? Thanks.
    6A*, 4A, B, C but I think it was my personal statement that got me my offers

ReputationRep:
    I'd go with B - it sounds like you prefer it anyway. I turned down an Oxbridge place and have never regretted it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    I'd go with B - it sounds like you prefer it anyway. I turned down an Oxbridge place and have never regretted it.
    Where did you end up going?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.