Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I'm currently completing AS Levels in NI and accepted a work experience placement (1 day) with a Law firm because my school requires at least 3 days work experience to get back in, and I wasn't sure I would be accepted by any accountancy firms (the career I actually want to pursue). I was offered a 3 day placement in accountancy on Friday for the summer and am scheduled to do the law one on monday. I tried calling the firm but there was no answer so I left a voice message explaining the situation and saying that I wouldn't be able to attend and that the accountancy placement wouldn't conflict with school work. I also emailed the person I had been contacting today to apologise and emailed my careers teacher to explain (as she organised it in the first place). I'm going to ring the firm when they open on monday morning (8.30am) and I'm supposed to appear at 10.00am. So I technically have given a few days notice but I'm not sure they'll have received my emails/messages and to them I might be cancelling literally with a few hours notice. I'm just really nervous that I'll be in deep **** but I only did what I thought was right, any advice on how to approach my careers teacher on Monday?

ReputationRep:
    Just explain to the teacher, they should get it. You've technically given way more than 24 hours notice, so the firm might call the school just to let them know, but they can't get annoyed or anything because they've had due notice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MKBH)
    Just explain to the teacher, they should get it. You've technically given way more than 24 hours notice, so the firm might call the school just to let them know, but they can't get annoyed or anything because they've had due notice.
    Thanks for replying, I sometimes overthink things and get way to worried. I'm going to explain as best as I can like you said, but I don't know the teacher that well so hopefully she won't take me for an eejit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gibsonlp59)
    Thanks for replying, I sometimes overthink things and get way to worried. I'm going to explain as best as I can like you said, but I don't know the teacher that well so hopefully she won't take me for an eejit.
    I don't really know my careers teacher all that well, either, but my college had 2 weeks early on in term where we could miss class for work experience, so I applied independently for experience in a newspaper and they didn't get back immediately so my careers teacher set me up with a day in the English department of a high school and then the newspaper got back, and I told her and she suggested that I rearrange the timing and try both, just in case I want an alternative. When I wasn't too fond of the newspaper and started to doubt what I was going to do she called the school and arranged the sitting in lessons for a later date. You seem to know what you're doing, so you should be fine and I don't know why your careers teacher might not get it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MKBH)
    I don't really know my careers teacher all that well, either, but my college had 2 weeks early on in term where we could miss class for work experience, so I applied independently for experience in a newspaper and they didn't get back immediately so my careers teacher set me up with a day in the English department of a high school and then the newspaper got back, and I told her and she suggested that I rearrange the timing and try both, just in case I want an alternative. When I wasn't too fond of the newspaper and started to doubt what I was going to do she called the school and arranged the sitting in lessons for a later date. You seem to know what you're doing, so you should be fine and I don't know why your careers teacher might not get it.
    I'm glad you got it sorted out and im sorry the newspaper didn't go the way you'd expected, I've wanted to go into accountancy since I was in primary school and law always seemed to boring and corporate (might be a bit pot kettle black on that observation lol). I'e applied to other finance related schemes too so hopefully she won't be too hard on me. I think she's just stressed from trying to handle 360 something sixth formers, and thanks for talking to me!

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.