Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there student room,

I`m in a predicament.

I`m an older student , 20 years old going onto 21 years. I was unsure about Uni so took some time out to work and gain experiences to find my place after Sixth Form. I realised that for me the education system in the states was far more what I was hoping than the UK systems. I`ve decided I would love to attend a US university and was reading into the IVY league top universities to apply to. During Sixth Form I was pushed to apply to Oxbridge however opted out as wasnt ready. Now looking further afield I was really keen on Princeton and Harvard.

I achieved A* A A at A-level. 9 A* 5 A GCSE. Lots of extracurricular things from writing my own plays, starting my own buisness, working abroad. Volunteering for the last 2 years. Leading music festivals, being technical officer for music charities, playing trombone - Orchestras, bands. Play for county level Tennis etc -- dont wanna go on but its very varied!

I have a love for everything that really drawn me to the US system where they want well rounded people.

I was wondering (having barely any advice from my school) whether its worth me applying? I dont know much about it apart from that its possible?

I know how difficult it is, but I heard its even more difficult being mature and being international regardless.

Any advice would be kindly appreciated

Thank you,

Ed
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by allofthestars)
    Hi there student room,

I`m in a predicament.

I`m an older student , 20 years old going onto 21 years. I was unsure about Uni so took some time out to work and gain experiences to find my place after Sixth Form. I realised that for me the education system in the states was far more what I was hoping than the UK systems. I`ve decided I would love to attend a US university and was reading into the IVY league top universities to apply to. During Sixth Form I was pushed to apply to Oxbridge however opted out as wasnt ready. Now looking further afield I was really keen on Princeton and Harvard.

I achieved A* A A at A-level. 9 A* 5 A GCSE. Lots of extracurricular things from writing my own plays, starting my own buisness, working abroad. Volunteering for the last 2 years. Leading music festivals, being technical officer for music charities, playing trombone - Orchestras, bands. Play for county level Tennis etc -- dont wanna go on but its very varied!

I have a love for everything that really drawn me to the US system where they want well rounded people.

I was wondering (having barely any advice from my school) whether its worth me applying? I dont know much about it apart from that its possible?

I know how difficult it is, but I heard its even more difficult being mature and being international regardless.

Thank you,

Ed
    Hey Ed. I don't think you have anything to lose if you apply. If you aren't successful then you're in the same position as you are now.

I've moved your thread into the Studying in North America forum.

Feel free to check out the Mature Students forum while you're browsing too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Hey Ed. I don't think you have anything to lose if you apply. If you aren't successful then you're in the same position as you are now.

I've moved your thread into the Studying in North America forum.

Feel free to check out the Mature Students forum while you're browsing too.

Thank you Look forward to finding out more about applying. I`d love to go to the state. I`m just so worried about whether I have a chance, from forums I`ve read you have to be incredible, having done something amazing in your ECs.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there student room,

I`m in a predicament.

Thank you,

Ed
    Your grades are fine. You would likely be an average applicant at most of the top universities.

But the biggest question: How are you going to pay US tuition rates? Are you relying on need-based financial aid? If so, your options are going to be very limited and highly competitive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NYU2012)
    Your grades are fine. You would likely be an average applicant at most of the top universities.

But the biggest question: How are you going to pay US tuition rates? Are you relying on need-based financial aid? If so, your options are going to be very limited and highly competitive.

Hi there, thank you for your reply. Apologise for the delay as didnt notice the notification. This is where my knowledge is rather faded. As far as I'm aware if your household salary is below a certain amount then tuition and maintenance is provided. I would rather not comment on household income online but, is that the financially aided that you were speaking about?

Could you please fill me in on what financial options there are please ? I have been trying to gain further info regarding this from my college and educational services helping get students to the states. They are currently processing my request so just waiting to be informed. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

As an average applicant to top unis- which universities would these be, how you said 'most' top?

Thank you for all your help

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, thank you for your reply. Apologise for the delay as didnt notice the notification. This is where my knowledge is rather faded. As far as I'm aware if your household salary is below a certain amount then tuition and maintenance is provided. I would rather not comment on household income online but, is that the financially aided that you were speaking about?

Could you please fill me in on what financial options there are please ? I have been trying to gain further info regarding this from my college and educational services helping get students to the states. They are currently processing my request so just waiting to be informed. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

As an average applicant to top unis- which universities would these be, how you said 'most' top?

Thank you for all your help
    If your household income is below a certain threshold, the university will provide need-based financial aid. The more money your parents make, the less financial aid will be provided. If your household income is less than £45,000 Harvard will cover all expenses.

If your household income is between £45,000 and£105,000, your family will be expected to pay between 1-10% of their yearly income towards tuition.

https://college.harvard.edu/financial-aid/how-aid-works

All universities are different, and Harvard is the most generous, as it is the wealthiest university in the world. Other universities will be less gernouers. You’ll have to research each university to see what their policies are.

Top universities will provide need-based financial aid, such as what Harvard does. Not all universities are “need blind” or “full need” for international students though, so you’ll have to find out which one are and are not.

Universities outside of the very top provide merit scholarships, which are competitive, but which can also assist with tuition and housing expenses.

ReputationRep:
    If your household income is below a certain threshold, the university will provide need-based financial aid. The more money your parents make, the less financial aid will be provided. If your household income is less than £45,000 Harvard will cover all expenses.

If your household income is between £45,000 and£105,000, your family will be expected to pay between 1-10% of their yearly income towards tuition.

https://college.harvard.edu/financial-aid/how-aid-works

All universities are different, and Harvard is the most generous, as it is the wealthiest university in the world. Other universities will be less gernouers. You’ll have to research each university to see what their policies are.

Top universities will provide need-based financial aid, such as what Harvard does. Not all universities are “need blind” or “full need” for international students though, so you’ll have to find out which one are and are not.

Universities outside of the very top provide merit scholarships, which are competitive, but which can also assist with tuition and housing expenses.
    That's brilliant, I believe I should be covered then regarding financial aid however that sounds like a double edged sword where it will also make it far more competitive. The impression I got was in order to have a competitive application you have to have an EC that is truly incredible. Something that makes you part of the 1% who should be there. Something like being in the Olympics or top finalists in the maths Olympiad etc. Is this true?

ReputationRep:
    That's brilliant, I believe I should be covered then regarding financial aid however that sounds like a double edged sword where it will also make it far more competitive. The impression I got was in order to have a competitive application you have to have an EC that is truly incredible. Something that makes you part of the 1% who should be there. Something like being in the Olympics or top finalists in the maths Olympiad etc. Is this true?
    Yes, unlike UK university admissions which does not care about your extracurricular activities; Ivy League admissions is pretty much all about you as a person, not just an academically-qualified person. Your ECs matter, your personal essay matter. It’s expected that any applicant is qualified to be admitted (otherwise they probably wouldn’t have applied). What sets applicants apart are their ECs, personal achievements, difficulties overcome, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, unlike UK university admissions which does not care about your extracurricular activities; Ivy League admissions is pretty much all about you as a person, not just an academically-qualified person. Your ECs matter, your personal essay matter. It’s expected that any applicant is qualified to be admitted (otherwise they probably wouldn’t have applied). What sets applicants apart are their ECs, personal achievements, difficulties overcome, etc.
    So what type EC`s set a UK applicant in good stead, from what I have read in order to even have a chance you have to be some international success , or an olympiad , athlete, business owner - is that the standard of EC`s needed?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there student room,

I`m in a predicament.

Thank you,

Ed
    Hi Ed. I'm a current undergrad student at Harvard from the UK. Your background sound interesting but you will have to position it in the right way. Be aware that American universities are not looking for a British-style personal statement. It is also rather unusual to have mature students at places like Harvard specifically. But I think if you lean into what you did during your time off - starting a business sounds particularly compelling - you will have a strong application.

Feel free to message me for further advice. Cheers

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.