Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I’ve received an unconditional offer for the MA Film & Television program. I’m also waiting to hear from the two other Uni’s I applied for. I would like to hear from both former and current students what the pros and cons of the school are. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't study there myself - but a family member and my a very good friend both studied there around the same time, so I visted it quite a lot.

From what I gathered from them. They were generally very happy with the course teaching/content.

The main pro for them was that its in Cornwall.

The main con for then was that its in Cornwall.

You need to be careful and make sure you like Cornwall. For both of them they loved the location for its beauty, for being outside, and for all the amazing things Cornwall brings. My friend learnt to surf and to climb, both are huge hobbies now, and one of them led to his current career. He made a lot of friends, spent ages outside, and it was very good for him. My family member studied photography, and being in such a natural/beautiful place was perfect for her photography.

But, the downside is: Cornwall is far away... from everything. Networking is hard, especially in industries that are based in big cities.. colaberating with people is hard, travelling is hard. etc.

One thing both of them said was: Only go if you can drive and have a car. It goes without saying, but if your going to one of the most remote universities in the UK, driving helps. The trains down to cornwall are long, slow and a pain in the arse. And when you are there, public transport is pretty awful. Most people I met down their either knew how to drive and had a car, or quickly made friends with someone who had a car - and relied on them. Almost all of the bennifits of the location need a car:

Beautiful secluded beaches, lovely small coastal towns, amazing countryside etc. all are pretty inconvenient to get to if you don't drive.

If you don't have a car, obviously still go, but find someone who does, and be nice to them!

ReputationRep:
    Many thanks for this answer! My main issue is most definitely the location of the campus! I’m coming to England from Canada and I’ll be in London. I decided to book a bus ticket to visit Cornwall while I was there. It’s a nightmare! It’ll take me 9 hours to get there with 4 transfers (I tried to go the cheapest route) I’m in film so I’ll need to travel back and forth to London. I’m just thinking about how much money will go into travel. Even their airport in Cornwall is far from the actual campus. The program seems amazing but I’m totally turned off by the distance! If I get into BU and Goldsmith I’m thinking of going to one or the other.

(Original post by fallen_acorns)
    I didn't study there myself - but a family member and my a very good friend both studied there around the same time, so I visted it quite a lot.

From what I gathered from them. They were generally very happy with the course teaching/content.

The main pro for them was that its in Cornwall.

The main con for then was that its in Cornwall.

You need to be careful and make sure you like Cornwall. For both of them they loved the location for its beauty, for being outside, and for all the amazing things Cornwall brings. My friend learnt to surf and to climb, both are huge hobbies now, and one of them led to his current career. He made a lot of friends, spent ages outside, and it was very good for him. My family member studied photography, and being in such a natural/beautiful place was perfect for her photography.

But, the downside is: Cornwall is far away... from everything. Networking is hard, especially in industries that are based in big cities.. colaberating with people is hard, travelling is hard. etc.

One thing both of them said was: Only go if you can drive and have a car. It goes without saying, but if your going to one of the most remote universities in the UK, driving helps. The trains down to cornwall are long, slow and a pain in the arse. And when you are there, public transport is pretty awful. Most people I met down their either knew how to drive and had a car, or quickly made friends with someone who had a car - and relied on them. Almost all of the bennifits of the location need a car:

Beautiful secluded beaches, lovely small coastal towns, amazing countryside etc. all are pretty inconvenient to get to if you don't drive.

If you don't have a car, obviously still go, but find someone who does, and be nice to them!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 11, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.