Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Internship work etc watch

• View Poll Results: Is this a rejection and should I forget working for this firm?

I re-trained last winter and have been speculatively cold calling companies to find work, even if it is initially unpaid. I had a one minute conversation with one of the 'decision makers' at a highly reputable firm. Below is the correspondence. I don't know what to make of it... is this a very polite rejection? Have I made a complete fool of myself?

I sent this follow up email one week after the phone conversation in early December where he asked me to send over my resume.

I sent a speculative enquiry (below)last week regarding an unpaid position.

I wonder if you had a chance to look over my details.

Please do advise me of your decision.

Hi Sophia. Unfortunately we do not have any suitable openings at the current time. I will definitely keep your cv under reference for suitable junior roles in the near future.

Best, Steve

In mid-Feb I re-contacted him with this

Hi Steve. I’m wondering, any Unpaid Junior roles? Anything I can do to better my chances?

We really don’t have any positions at the moment Sophia, although I definitely admire your energy. If anything suitable comes along I will certainly be in touch.

I really hope so and look forward to it. Because I have research that I would like to show you then.

Best wishes Steve

Is this all just a very polite rejection Go away and leave me alone?
    I have had rejections many, many times in the past but they are usually direct and to the point eg you need more experience, try again in a few years, we look for xyz qualifications.

Should I forget any hope of him contacting me?

I also included a sample of my work in the initial email. I know that my work is 'competent' for a newbie, as the institute I trained with actually offered me job which I rejected as I did not feel I would progress in a learning environment as I would in a real work situation.

Im posting this question so I can get some sense of this or closure and move on.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.