Turn on thread page Beta

Internship work etc watch

• View Poll Results: Is this a rejection and should I forget working for this firm?
    yes
    0%
    no
    0%

ReputationRep:
    I re-trained last winter and have been speculatively cold calling companies to find work, even if it is initially unpaid. I had a one minute conversation with one of the 'decision makers' at a highly reputable firm. Below is the correspondence. I don't know what to make of it... is this a very polite rejection? Have I made a complete fool of myself?

I sent this follow up email one week after the phone conversation in early December where he asked me to send over my resume.

Hello,

I sent a speculative enquiry (below)last week regarding an unpaid position.

I wonder if you had a chance to look over my details.

Please do advise me of your decision.

Thanks

Hi Sophia. Unfortunately we do not have any suitable openings at the current time. I will definitely keep your cv under reference for suitable junior roles in the near future.

Best, Steve

In mid-Feb I re-contacted him with this

Hi Steve. I’m wondering, any Unpaid Junior roles? Anything I can do to better my chances?
    Best
    Sophia

Response

We really don’t have any positions at the moment Sophia, although I definitely admire your energy. If anything suitable comes along I will certainly be in touch.

Best,Steve

I really hope so and look forward to it. Because I have research that I would like to show you then.

Best wishes Steve

Sophia

Is this all just a very polite rejection Go away and leave me alone?
    I have had rejections many, many times in the past but they are usually direct and to the point eg you need more experience, try again in a few years, we look for xyz qualifications.

Should I forget any hope of him contacting me?

I also included a sample of my work in the initial email. I know that my work is 'competent' for a newbie, as the institute I trained with actually offered me job which I rejected as I did not feel I would progress in a learning environment as I would in a real work situation.

Im posting this question so I can get some sense of this or closure and move on.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.