Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I want to become a doctor watch

ReputationRep:
    so im only in yr11 and preparing for gcses rn and i have this primary target in my life which is to become a successful doctor. what things could i do to make me stand out? i've heard that things like getting involved in medical research at a uni is impressive but i have no idea how to do that

ReputationRep:
    :lol: nobody expects you to make groundbreaking research with a university to get into medicine.
    Get a hospital and GP work experience placement this summer though and make notes of interesting cases you see.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Get some work experience in hospitals-note what you see doctors do, how they work together(teamwork, leadership, empathy, communication etc.). Keep note of a couple of examples of these.
    Also, start doing some long term voluntary work-most unis will want to see this. Things such as a carehome, or people with disabilities(vulnerable age groups), maybe even in hospital cafe's. Those kind of areas are ideal

ReputationRep:
    Hi I also have the intention of becoming a doctor(or engineer or dentist!) and I would suggest doing some volunteering/work experience so that you become familiar with a clinical setting. Also ask how to speak with patients so that you can say you have debeloped communication/empathy (even if you already have these its good to practice!!) Try to also keep up any extra curriculars, but my best bit of advice is consider a gap year and make the most of any opportunities(eg gap medics). Hopr this helps

ReputationRep:
    All you need to become a dr is the ability to google search symptoms.

ReputationRep:
    even simple things like watching medical programmes on TV are all part of the picture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    even simple things like watching medical programmes on TV are all part of the picture.
    Providing it is reality and not dramatised, e.g. casualty and scrubs(this being what you shouldn't base your perception of a doctor off)
    Personally I wouldn't use tv when trying to get a better idea as life as a doctor or for my PS-real life experience is better

ReputationRep:
    okey thanks ppl i appreciate it

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.