Turn on thread page Beta

Hello,

Allocated Scotland for FY and i'm ranking the South East jobs highest. Just wondered if anyone had any recommendations about DGHs around Edinburgh? I read that Border's General Hospital seems to be well supported, but other than that I don't have a clue.

Livingston? Kirkcaldy?

Similarly, how are the two big hospitals in Edinburgh?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hello,

Allocated Scotland for FY and i'm ranking the South East jobs highest. Just wondered if anyone had any recommendations about DGHs around Edinburgh? I read that Border's General Hospital seems to be well supported, but other than that I don't have a clue.

Livingston? Kirkcaldy?

Similarly, how are the two big hospitals in Edinburgh?

Thanks
    Hey, congrats on Scotland! I'm also ranking SE jobs at the mo. All the peripherals are much of a muchness I think. I've heard good things about Kirkcaldy and Borders. I've heard WGH is poorly supported for surgery but fine for everything else, and the RIE had the combined assessment which is good for seeing a load of acute stuff.
    Sick kids is apparently well supported by I've heard some describe it as boring because the Regs do a lot more shop floor stuff.

The Kirkcaldy jobs tend to be less popular as it is a bit of a long commute and there is no hospital accommodation. However, it is a very friendly hospital and most people enjoy working there and come back when they are more senior. The surgical jobs are very well supported, the medical ones possibly less so but it varies by department. The medical on-call blocks are quite intense (the medical jobs are split between a specialty and on-calls in AMAU and with HAN), but the advantage is that all your zero days are combined with you annual leave so you end up with 2 blocks of 2 weeks off (which is nice, but your are exhausted by the time you get to it).

I have not worked either at St John's or BGH, but I have heard good things about them. There is hospital accommodation at BGH, where most people tend to stay, but a small number of people do choose to commute from Edinburgh.

With regards to RIE and WGH, I have enjoyed working at both. If you work at WGH as an F1, you will not be doing any night shifts. However, HAN as a medical F2 there is pretty busy (you cover all the medical wards except neuro and ID). HAN at RIE is very well supported - there is a med reg and a CT2 who is second on call.

Hopefully, this helps a bit Let me know if you have any specific questions.

(Original post by SpacedCowboy)
    Hey, congrats on Scotland! I'm also ranking SE jobs at the mo. All the peripherals are much of a muchness I think. I've heard good things about Kirkcaldy and Borders. I've heard WGH is poorly supported for surgery but fine for everything else, and the RIE had the combined assessment which is good for seeing a load of acute stuff.
    Sick kids is apparently well supported by I've heard some describe it as boring because the Regs do a lot more shop floor stuff.
    Thanks, you too! Cool thanks for the tips, are you hoping to be mostly in Edinburgh with one rotation outside or a few jobs in 2 places?

The Kirkcaldy jobs tend to be less popular as it is a bit of a long commute and there is no hospital accommodation. However, it is a very friendly hospital and most people enjoy working there and come back when they are more senior. The surgical jobs are very well supported, the medical ones possibly less so but it varies by department. The medical on-call blocks are quite intense (the medical jobs are split between a specialty and on-calls in AMAU and with HAN), but the advantage is that all your zero days are combined with you annual leave so you end up with 2 blocks of 2 weeks off (which is nice, but your are exhausted by the time you get to it).

I have not worked either at St John's or BGH, but I have heard good things about them. There is hospital accommodation at BGH, where most people tend to stay, but a small number of people do choose to commute from Edinburgh.

With regards to RIE and WGH, I have enjoyed working at both. If you work at WGH as an F1, you will not be doing any night shifts. However, HAN as a medical F2 there is pretty busy (you cover all the medical wards except neuro and ID). HAN at RIE is very well supported - there is a med reg and a CT2 who is second on call.

Hopefully, this helps a bit Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Yes thank you very much! Haha that sounds brutal, but a very good annual leave set...Im considering Kirkcaldy or Borders but i'm unsure how that would work with having to get a flat midway through the year etc. Did most people find accommodation OK, even when moving back to Edinburgh? What jobs did you do in FY, if you don't mind me asking? Any you loved/not so much?

I don't think renting midway through the year should be too much of a problem (though keep in mind that Edinburgh is quite an expensive city). However, almost everyone who worked in Fife commuted from Edinburgh.

My jobs were vascular at RIE, then medicine and surgery at VHK, then psych in Fife, then gerries and neurosurgery at WGH. They were all great jobs, if I am honest. The toughest for me was medicine at VHK - my main specialty there was gastro, which is known to be one of the busiest. However, it is a really useful job to do, especially if you plan on going into CMT. Psych in Fife was also very good, and if you are at all considering this as a career, you will get more out of it doing there than in Edinburgh.

I don't think renting midway through the year should be too much of a problem (though keep in mind that Edinburgh is quite an expensive city). However, almost everyone who worked in Fife commuted from Edinburgh.

My jobs were vascular at RIE, then medicine and surgery at VHK, then psych in Fife, then gerries and neurosurgery at WGH. They were all great jobs, if I am honest. The toughest for me was medicine at VHK - my main specialty there was gastro, which is known to be one of the busiest. However, it is a really useful job to do, especially if you plan on going into CMT. Psych in Fife was also very good, and if you are at all considering this as a career, you will get more out of it doing there than in Edinburgh.
    Cool, quite a lot of time in fife then! How are the FY communities in these places? Are the smaller hospitals more sociable?

Cool, quite a lot of time in fife then! How are the FY communities in these places? Are the smaller hospitals more sociable?
    I wouldn't say VHK was more sociable than WGH/RIE. I think there may be more of a community feel at BGH though due to people living together on site.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, you too! Cool thanks for the tips, are you hoping to be mostly in Edinburgh with one rotation outside or a few jobs in 2 places?

Yes thank you very much! Haha that sounds brutal, but a very good annual leave set...Im considering Kirkcaldy or Borders but i'm unsure how that would work with having to get a flat midway through the year etc. Did most people find accommodation OK, even when moving back to Edinburgh? What jobs did you do in FY, if you don't mind me asking? Any you loved/not so much?
    I'm probably going to go for 2 Edi and 1 Fife/Livingston. And commute in. Trying to find a programme that has Edi based F2 as well.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I am also applying to SE aiming for 2 Edi and 1 elsewhere too.

Any idea if there is a facebook group or something for us all?

(Original post by Bandanner)
    Hey, I am also applying to SE aiming for 2 Edi and 1 elsewhere too.

Any idea if there is a facebook group or something for us all?
    I would imagine that'll be made when people find out where they have been allocated! Hope the scores don't go up too much this year

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine that'll be made when people find out where they have been allocated! Hope the scores don't go up too much this year
    I expect it will go up slightly looking at the score groups and comparing to previous years. Though there have been times when minimum scores for a group have dropped too.

However I am hoping the same.

ReputationRep:
    It would be nice to know where we sit in relation to everyone else that matched, at the moment it's a lot of hoping for the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpacedCowboy)
    It would be nice to know where we sit in relation to everyone else that matched, at the moment it's a lot of hoping for the best.
    Hi, you have seen the stats I assume to give you some idea?

Link here if you have not:

http://www.scotmt.scot.nhs.uk/founda...tatistics.aspx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bandanner)
    Hi, you have seen the stats I assume to give you some idea?

Link here if you have not:

http://www.scotmt.scot.nhs.uk/founda...tatistics.aspx
    I find those stats awful vague, all I know is that there are 100s of others in a similar position to me.
    Other deaneries have provided enough details such that you can be fairly accurate about where you sit in the ranking, whilst some have even given students their position in the list. I know overall that kind of info is only valuable if everyone ranks jobs the same, but it does give you some insight into your odds of getting a highly competitive job.

ReputationRep:
    Genuinely I couldn't rate BGH higher enough. It's a bit further than SJH or Fife but the traffic isn't a problem so in real time I would often get home the same time as my flatmate working at SJH. There's also accommodation, especially if you're there first job (Which I'd recommend) lots of people stay and it's super social. The hospital is small enough that you know everyone, everyone is nice to you, but busy enough that you'll really learn how to work independently. I would love to go back in the future!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.