Turn on thread page Beta

Is this a polite rejection, should I write this firm off watch

ReputationRep:
    delete
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by s18bgid)
    I re-trained last winter and have been speculatively cold calling companies to find work, even if it is initially unpaid. I had a couple minute conversation with one of the 'decision makers' at a highly reputable firm. Below is the correspondence. I don't know what to make of it... is this a very polite rejection? Have I made a complete fool of myself?

I sent this follow up email one week after the phone conversation in early December where he asked me to send over my resume.

Hello,

I sent a speculative enquiry (below)last week regarding an unpaid position.

I wonder if you had a chance to look over my details.

Please do advise me of your decision.

Thanks

Hi Sophia. Unfortunately we do not have any suitable openings at the current time. I will definitely keep your cv under reference for suitable junior roles in the near future.

Best, Steve

In mid-Feb I re-contacted him with this

Hi Steve. I’m wondering, any Unpaid Junior roles? Anything I can do to better my chances?
    Best
    Sophia

Response

We really don’t have any positions at the moment Sophia, although I definitely admire your energy. If anything suitable comes along I will certainly be in touch.

Best,Steve

I really hope so and look forward to it. Because I have research that I would like to show you then.

Best wishes Steve

Sophia

Is this all just a very polite, time wasting rejection? I have had rejections many, many times in the past but they are usually direct and to the point eg you need more experience, try again in a few years, we look for xyz qualifications.

I also included a sample of my work in the initial email. I know that my work is 'competent' for a newbie, as the institute I trained with actually offered me job which I rejected as I did not feel I would progress in a learning environment as I would in a real work situation.

Im looking to get some sense of this or find closure and move on.

I admire the fact you are persevering. Imo keep checking in every 3 months and if he has something then you will be in his mind, plus tell them what else you have done. Dont take too long or invest energy.

He may have nothing and be telling the truth. Jeep looking elsewhere and keep going.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I admire the fact you are persevering. Imo keep checking in every 3 months and if he has something then you will be in his mind, plus tell them what else you have done. Dont take too long or invest energy.

He may have nothing and be telling the truth. Jeep looking elsewhere and keep going.
    Don't you think she's doing a bit much? Op you need widen your search. What type of Junior role are you looking for?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Goldenparadise)
    Don't you think she's doing a bit much? Op you need widen your search. What type of Junior role are you looking for?
    Ofc she needs to widen her search, but this is just a side thing. Might change to every 4 months. As long as the letters are polite and not pushy, then easy to bin and if something shows up, then she is available. have had it work for me. Hard t say as we dont know what field, organisation or job.

ReputationRep:
    It is a junior position in Finance. I am being proactive in the meanwhile, working on research and targeting other firms in the interim period, so that should this Head call me in the future its not a case that Ive been waiting for him to get back

ReputationRep:
    Ofc she needs to widen her search, but this is just a side thing. Might change to every 4 months. As long as the letters are polite and not pushy, then easy to bin and if something shows up, then she is available. have had it work for me. Hard t say as we dont know what field, organisation or job.
    it is really encouraging to know that it has worked out for you in the past, and I think you are right in saying He may have nothing and be telling the truth.

He did mention that initially on the phone but still wanted me to send my cv in to him

ReputationRep:
    It is a junior position in Finance. I am being proactive in the meanwhile, working on research and targeting other firms in the interim period, so that should this Head call me in the future its not a case that Ive been waiting for him to get back
    Do you have experience or the required skills? You also reach out recruiters within these companies they usual have agency work.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    it is really encouraging to know that it has worked out for you in the past, and I think you are right in saying He may have nothing and be telling the truth.

He mentioned initially on the phone but still wanted me to send my cv in to him
    Just dont be a pest. You are trying to build rapport, so be polite. get on with other things.

ReputationRep:
    Just dont be a pest. You are trying to build rapport, so be polite. get on with other things.
    Exactly, I just hope I haven't been a pest so far
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Exactly, I just hope I haven't been a pest so far
    2 or 3 letters a year wont be a pest. Keep them short and polite. Look elsewhere as well.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have experience or the required skills?
    Not at the moment. I just re-trained as a mature student last year. So despite my age, Im actually entry level candidate.

Im doing some evening classes at Birkbeck to bulk up relevant qualifications and proactively seeking work opportunities.

Of 10 companies I targeted, this has been the most 'positive' result thus far, though he is not actually promising anything, in any time frame.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.