Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got an A in my higher tier gcse maths. I feel like I sold myself short as I sat the exam a year early but if I want to repeat it I will have to do so in the summer when I will already be sitting 10 other exams (including further maths) so I am reluctant to add 2 more on to that just to try and get a grade I might not even achieve. My maths teacher (along with my friend's teacher at another school) reckons medicine is so competitive these days, particularly in NI, that I will need an A* in maths in order to study it at university. Does anyone know of someone who managed to get a place with only an A grade? And would an A at higher tier maths and further maths be considered more valuable than just an A* at gcse? Any advice is welcome, as I’m really stuck as to what to do. Thank you.
    **PS-Does anyone happen to know if this is the case specifically for Queen’s in Belfast?**
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by LucyB2001)
    I got an A in my higher tier gcse maths. I feel like I sold myself short as I sat the exam a year early but if I want to repeat it I will have to do so in the summer when I will already be sitting 10 other exams (including further maths) so I am reluctant to add 2 more on to that just to try and get a grade I might not even achieve. My maths teacher (along with my friend's teacher at another school) reckons medicine is so competitive these days, particularly in NI, that I will need an A* in maths in order to study it at university. Does anyone know of someone who managed to get a place with only an A grade? And would an A at higher tier maths and further maths be considered more valuable than just an A* at gcse? Any advice is welcome, as I’m really stuck as to what to do. Thank you.
    No you don't. An A is fine.

PS. I've moved this to the Medicine forum

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    most unis don't look strongly at your GCSES, as long as you pass them all and get at least a B in English and Maths. If you're trying for the more competitive unis, Oxford etc, all A*s are better, but honestly it does not affect your chances much for every other unibersity, A levels are what you should focus on
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    ^A is 100% fine. Med schools don't really prefer one type of GCSE over another anyway as long as you meet the entry requirements so if you get an A* in another subject it's just as good as an A* in Maths.

ReputationRep:
    No you don’t. Most unis want just a B.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.