Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm 26 years old, 2 kids, full time customer service role but need to improve my prospects. I have applied for a course in Bsc ( Honours) computing and IT and it would take around 6 years part time to complete so i'd be 32 when finished. My goal is to get a job where career prospects earn me a better chance for the future.

Getting to the point I'd like to know from people who have experienced the OU did you manage to get something from the course you were on? I've been told trying to find lower level jobs in the sector whilst you learn would give you a better standing for when your finished but it this true? and finally was taking the risk of OU worth it or did you find you would of been better doing it from a brick uni.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    I tried doing an OU degree but it didn't work for me. Needed more structure and physical space to work in.

I ended up going to a brick uni (in second year now). It might be worth looking at the unis close to you to see what sort of funding you can get. I get 3k in bursaries a year on top the student loan which means I have enough so that I don't need to work a lot of hours but then I don't have 2 kids!

Think about how much you would lose out by doing an extra 3 years as that customer service role vs what you would get paid for 3 years in your new career. That should be factored in.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by haryc123)
    Hi I'm 26 years old, 2 kids, full time customer service role but need to improve my prospects. I have applied for a course in Bsc ( Honours) computing and IT and it would take around 6 years part time to complete so i'd be 32 when finished. My goal is to get a job where career prospects earn me a better chance for the future.

Getting to the point I'd like to know from people who have experienced the OU did you manage to get something from the course you were on? I've been told trying to find lower level jobs in the sector whilst you learn would give you a better standing for when your finished but it this true? and finally was taking the risk of OU worth it or did you find you would of been better doing it from a brick uni.
    thanks
    I'm on my second module and enjoying it. It's opened up my eyes and changed my view on things. I work part time, but there's plenty of people who have children and are working who've also studied in their free time. I think it's something worth doing; using your free time to improve your future! For me, it's been a good decision. Going to a brick university wouldn't have been an option for me and I enjoy being able to work and stay at home whilst I study! I think if you're considering it, then it may be the right thing for you - just do as much research as you can. You have until September time to decide anyway!

Working in a job related to the future career you want is helpful but not necessary! Either way, you'd have 6 years to find an IT related job, even if it's at the very bottom of the IT ladder, it's experience! Just having a degree can open up more doors and lead to a well paid career. Experience isn't always required for IT jobs so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Sceptical_John Going to a brick university is not realistic for someone with two children and a full time job? The OU was basically made for the less conventional student who has a life and responsibilities that come first.

ReputationRep:
    I would start personally. The IT courses are great apparently and it seems to have a fair few modules. Getting an entry level job in IT is not hard if you know a decent bit, I worked in a small IT shop for a while building and upgrading computers. It is a hard slog and it is repetitive, but I enjoyed it.

If you start, you should call your local IT stores and see if they are looking for someone.

Best take the plunge earlier than later imo.

ReputationRep:
    im taking the plunge this year too.
    I self taught GCSE maths and currently finishing a level maths which again I've self taught so going onto doing a degree in maths through ou isn't daunting to me.

I'm in a similar situation too. I've 2 kids. my eldest is autistic so needs more support than my youngest
    I'm looking forward to starting my studies to get a career for when my children are older. I'll be 42 when I graduate.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.