Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I currently have two options/interests for my project- a snake game (in python) or a dynamic website with a backend database. I really confused which one to choose. Which one would an examiner prefer?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you could get a good grade with either, assuming that those projects are sufficiently complex for an A-Level project. A more important question might be which one you feel is more achievable for you in terms of meeting all the requirements of the mark scheme and being able to implement a working project.

One thing to keep in mind is that a large percentage of the marks for your project will derive from your report, so whichever project you choose, make sure you're leaving yourself with enough to write about (for example, make sure you've considered all the requirements and rules for the project,.consider all your test cases carefully, and make sure you have enough to write about for your analysis - and whatever you do, always keep a complete log of any problems and difficulties you encounter along the way, things which don't work first time, proof-of-concept apps and experimental code, bugs, etc.)

A website with a backend database should be easy to get up-and-running quickly, and also fairly easy to find things to write about; you could take inspiration from all kinds of websites online to see what sorts of features you might want to include. As far as design is concerned, you could discuss database modelling, web design / web UX, HTTP and RESTful web services, SQL and querying, With that said, you'd probably also need to make sure that the requirements for your website are sufficiently complex to live up to A-Level standards, but your teacher should be able to guide you on that.

For a snake game, I suspect there'd be less data modelling unless you're going to write features which might persist data in the background (for example, modern games often have user profiles which persist data about a player's game history). You'd probably also be looking at a fairly simple UI/UX too, so a lot of the complexity would probably come from the game/simulation itself.

A Snake game is essentially a 'real time' simulation (i.e. its state automatically updates in real time regardless of any user input), so you would need to consider all the natural complexities which come along with in programming something like this. However, real-time simulations should leave you with plenty to write about, and you should be able to find plenty of information online about real-time programming. (for example, real-time systems are often synchronised around some kind of "clock" or "ticking" concept; you might need to consider how you'd handle the 'state' of an app which updates in real-time, and how you'd handle its I/O, etc). You might also start to look at some game/graphics library too. (In which case, you could spend time with the report writing about how that works)

Whatever you do, make sure that the code you're going to write is achievable - while you might struggle to get higher marks if the project is too simple, you'll have a much harder time if you bite off something which is too complex. With that said, a Snake game and a Website should both be fairly achieveable as an A-level project as long as you've spent time understanding what you need to do for them.

ReputationRep:
    Many Thanks!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.