Manchester Medicine (A106) 2019 Entry Watch

arigziegler
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by medapplicant2k19)
Would my stats give me a chance to recieve an interview by the holistic approach (post #54)?
Thanks
Possibly as your GCSEs and predicteds are amazing! But you'd have a very good chance at GCSE heavy unis like Cardiff and Birmingham since you have 8+ A*s, have you looked at these?
queenrich1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by arigziegler)
Possibly as your GCSEs and predicteds are amazing! But you'd have a very good chance at GCSE heavy unis like Cardiff and Birmingham since you have 8+ A*s, have you looked at these?
Would mine be ok via holistic approach GCSE 5A 4B and C great ps lots of work exp predicted AAA, UKCAT av 600
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
arigziegler
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by queenrich1)
Would mine be ok via holistic approach GCSE 5A 4B and C great ps lots of work exp predicted AAA, UKCAT av 600
Maybe if your PS is amazing since your other stats are quite average for medical applicants and your UKCAT is on the low side.
This is just my opinion though so take it with a pinch of salt. Hopefully someone else will give their input.
medapplicant2k19
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thanks for the advice.
On the birmingham offer calculator they said an interview was unlikely, and for cardiff the cut off was 24-26 points and I have 24.
Is it worth a try at Manchester by the holistic approach?
Thanks
arigziegler
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thanks for the advice.
On the birmingham offer calculator they said an interview was unlikely, and for cardiff the cut off was 24-26 points and I have 24.
Is it worth a try at Manchester by the holistic approach?
Thanks
I'm not sure honestly, I didn't apply to Manchester last year so I'm not very familiar with their holistic route.
I'd suggest you look at last year's thread and see the profile of applicants who received an interview, that will give you the most realistic insight.
medapplicant2k19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I'm not sure honestly, I didn't apply to Manchester last year so I'm not very familiar with their holistic route.
I'd suggest you look at last year's thread and see the profile of applicants who received an interview, that will give you the most realistic insight.
How do I find the thread?
arigziegler
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
In the search bar look for something like "Manchester A106 medicine 2018"
rxchelhorne
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Try asking on here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...874330&page=33 for some advice
DejiS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I got 6A*s 4As and a B at GCSE with predicted AAA at a level and 2640(74th percentile) band 3 in the ukcat. How likely am I to be invited for an interview?
arigziegler
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by DejiS)
I got 6A*s 4As and a B at GCSE with predicted AAA at a level and 2640(74th percentile) band 3 in the ukcat. How likely am I to be invited for an interview?
Based on last year's cut off you wouldn't have been invited through the traditional way and there's no way to know how they work out interviews for the holistic way which is 1/3 of all interviews I believe.
DejiS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Based on last year's cut off you wouldn't have been invited through the traditional way and there's no way to know how they work out interviews for the holistic way which is 1/3 of all interviews I believe.
What was last years cut off?
arigziegler
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by DejiS)
What was last years cut off?
667 average
LordLucifer
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hello
I am considering applying for Manchester medicine however, I definitely want to apply to their psych course
I'm not sure it's a good idea to apply to both medicine and psychology at the same uni as it would greatly diminish the chances of medicine offer

What do you guys think?
michaela0899
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by LordLucifer)
Hello
I am considering applying for Manchester medicine however, I definitely want to apply to their psych course
I'm not sure it's a good idea to apply to both medicine and psychology at the same uni as it would greatly diminish the chances of medicine offer

What do you guys think?
I believe you will be fine. If they saw you applied to both, Manchester would just think psychology is your 5th option
GANFYD
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by DejiS)
Although you wouldn't have met last year's threshold, you do meet the decile last year's threshold was in, as scores have dropped this year. Manchester say they will interview approx the top 1/3 UKCAT scores, and they were probably just a bit above 66th percentile last year. You are well above this, so should hopefully be OK this year
Last edited by GANFYD; 3 months ago
Chibuchi
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
667 average
how do you know this
smirreh14
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Do they still do that thing where they consider 500-900 applicants that have demonstrated potential but have performed poor in one aspect of the application?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
GANFYD
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by smirreh14)
Do they still do that thing where they consider 500-900 applicants that have demonstrated potential but have performed poor in one aspect of the application?
Their website says:
"What if my score does not meet the threshold?
We recognise that everyone has a different set of skills. If your UKCAT does not fall within the top third of results nationally then we will include it as part of a holistic assessment using all the information available to us to arrive at a decision (for example, GCSE grades, A-level profile, additional qualifications, NAI form etc). We expect to invite 500-600 applicants to interview on this selection route."
arigziegler
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Chibuchi)
how do you know this
I think it's from an official FOI but hopefully meddad or GANFYD will be able to confirm the exact source of the Manchester UKCAT cut off.
prospectmedic123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I think it's from an official FOI but hopefully meddad or GANFYD will be able to confirm the exact source of the Manchester UKCAT cut off.
https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/med...te/apply/data/ previous ukcat thresholds
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (140)
46.51%
Pro-humanity (161)
53.49%