Official 2018 Oxford Postgraduate Offer Holders Watch

tkox18
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’ll be doing my MSc by Research in Psychiatry at Green Templeton Has anybody received any kind of joining instructions/induction week info yet?
penguinstudent
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by tkox18)
I’ll be doing my MSc by Research in Psychiatry at Green Templeton Has anybody received any kind of joining instructions/induction week info yet?
All I've been given is an email from my department telling me what time and day to turn up for the induction, and also an email from college saying we can induct any day between move in day and the start of lectures.

I've received the form for the student card quite a while ago now, and also the instructions for creating an IT account on the uni system.

Aside from the above I don't think there's anything else that can really be done? If there's a choice of modules for your course, your department might contact you about that before term, but some departments (mine included) only do that closer to term.

I'm MSc Statistical Science at St Cross if that makes any difference. Good luck
Tot0r0
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
  1. Hello all! First of all, congratulations for your offers! I am still an undergrad, interested in pursuing further studies at Oxford, and I have some questions for you:

1. How important do you think your first year grades are?
    2. How did you gain your research experience (if applicable to your subject)
    3. When did you first communicate with your supervisor?
    4. When did you apply (in relation to your undergrad studies)?
    Thanks in advance!
Wwys
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hiya, I'll be at GTC this October (MSc Pharmacology). Not received any emails from college about induction/joining instructions.
penguinstudent
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tot0r0)
  1. Hello all! First of all, congratulations for your offers! I am still an undergrad, interested in pursuing further studies at Oxford, and I have some questions for you:

1. How important do you think your first year grades are?
    2. How did you gain your research experience (if applicable to your subject)
    3. When did you first communicate with your supervisor?
    4. When did you apply (in relation to your undergrad studies)?
    Thanks in advance!

Hey! Here are some answers to your questions, hopefully they help a little!

1. I honestly don't know, my first year grades were below the 'minimum requirements' of a 'good first' on the Oxford page for the course I applied for, however my undergrad was 4 years (in Scotland) and so the first year didn't count towards the degree classification.

2. I expressed interest in research to some of my professors in the department at the start of my 3rd year, and they gave me a position as a summer research student the following summer.

3. Unfortunately I don't have much useful information here as I'm only an MSc student and we won't decide on dissertation titles till later in the course.

4. I applied quite late, just before the March deadline in my final year of undergrad. Applying so late made it more stressful to find accommodation, since offers for March applicants tend to roll out around late May. Lots of funding opportunities also require applications to be submitted by the January deadline, so keep that in mind and don't miss out like I did!
parryhotter
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I applied last week and it says it will be 8-10 weeks after the November deadline before I hear anything.

Do people ever get offers earlier than this or is it normal for everyone to wait this long?
tkox18
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Wwys)
Hiya, I'll be at GTC this October (MSc Pharmacology). Not received any emails from college about induction/joining instructions.
Hey, awesome! I got some e-mails through over the last few days so everything pretty much mapped out now, you may have had the same. Will you be staying on site?
Wwys
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, awesome! I got some e-mails through over the last few days so everything pretty much mapped out now, you may have had the same. Will you be staying on site?
Still not received anything Nope, I have accommodation like 2 minute since away from the college, hbu?
Mental Health TK
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Wwys)
Still not received anything Nope, I have accommodation like 2 minute since away from the college, hbu?
Oh really? When are you due to start? It may be that they send them out a little later for your course. It may be worth contacting the course/college admin if you're not sure. I'll be on site, but yeah it looks like most offsite GTC accommodation is really close by anyway. Where are you travelling from?
Wwys
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mental Health TK)
Oh really? When are you due to start? It may be that they send them out a little later for your course. It may be worth contacting the course/college admin if you're not sure. I'll be on site, but yeah it looks like most offsite GTC accommodation is really close by anyway. Where are you travelling from?
Course starts 7th October (induction week 1st October). I've received all the course info I need, just waiting on college info about the induction week. Travelling from Manchester, how about you?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (152)
59.61%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.65%

Watched Threads