Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'll be studying on the Jubilee campus next year so I'm looking for close self-catered accommodation.

Raleigh Park seemed perfect, a good location and well reviewed but when applying for accommodation I found out about Riverside Point. This seems an even better location but can't really find any information on it.

Can anyone give me any comparisons on the two, or any information really on Riverside Point? I've heard people say it's mainly postgraduates that stay there but on the accommodation information, it says its undergraduates only.

ReputationRep:
    Riverside:
    Pros
    + Really close to uni (5 mins if that)
    + Secure
    + Staff are quick at repairing anything

Cons
    - a tad expensive for my liking
    - not near lenton or main student areas
    - pay for parking
    - a trek to do shopping if you don't drive

RP
    Pros:
    + Super cheap
    + Lots of 1st years are there
    + Good for house parties
    + Close to lidl
    + Close to town

Cons:
    - security is very bad
    - bit further from campus 10 mins
    - pay for parking
    - can get loud at night if living by the front entrance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by retardis)
    Riverside:
    Pros
    + Secure

Cons
    - pay for parking

RP
    Pros:
    + Super cheap
    + Good for house parties
    + Close to lidl
    + Close to town

Cons:
    - security is very bad
    - pay for parking
    Thank you! This has been super helpful

I saw a thread on riverside point on Nottingham Trent University - is the accommodation shared with them or was that something else? Is any of the accommodation shared?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11tan)
    Thank you! This has been super helpful

I saw a thread on riverside point on Nottingham Trent University - is the accommodation shared with them or was that something else? Is any of the accommodation shared?
    I can't speak for Riverside but RP is 100% Uni Of. I'd be very surprised if Riverside had Trent students as it is so close to our university and would probably be a 20/30 min drive to either campus

ReputationRep:
    did you end up applying for Riverside or Raleigh?

ReputationRep:
    I was applying today and there are no more places for en-suite rooms in Raleigh, is there the opportunity to upgrade once they know who has or hasn't got in?
    Also is Riverside lively enough to still have a good time or is it not really well integrated with notts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goffa)
    I was applying today and there are no more places for en-suite rooms in Raleigh, is there the opportunity to upgrade once they know who has or hasn't got in?
    Also is Riverside lively enough to still have a good time or is it not really well integrated with notts?
    Well apparently Riverside isn’t as lively but I’ve been given a place there

We can always email on results day to change, yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imundercover)
    Well apparently Riverside isn’t as lively but I’ve been given a place there

We can always email on results day to change, yes
    To be honest I'm inclined to apply for Riverside as my first choice because it still has 450 people there and its only 5 minutes away from Raleigh can it really be that different?

ReputationRep:
    Raleigh is a very popular accommodation for fresher's, if you're looking for somewhere where people will go on nights out with you and there will be house parties Raleigh is definitely the way to go.

Riverside is definitely quieter and I would say more of an international/2nd year accommodation. It is also quite far from town so it won't be your go to for nights out
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Riverside:
    Pros
    + Secure

Cons
    - pay for parking

RP
    Pros:
    + Super cheap
    + Good for house parties
    + Close to lidl
    + Close to town

Cons:
    - security is very bad
    - pay for parking
    Agree with everything apart from your point about Riverside Point not being close to student areas and Lenton. It IS in Lenton, on Derby Rd and closer than Raleigh Park to both campuses. Although I agree that outside of the campuses' accommodations themselves, the main halls hub is the Raleigh Park area, especially given it's proximity to SPC, Manor and Opal.

Your point about shopping is very interesting one. Riverside still get the inclusive bus service, which would make it easier to carry stuff from Lidl, the City Centre and maybe even the Hyson Green Asda? But tbh, space is normally tight in a halls kitchens; so normally just end up doing small carryable shops anyway, and the occasional big shop taking a cab as a flat at a main store e.g. Hyson Green Asda or Sainsbury's.

(Original post by Goffa)
    Is there a drop-out list. Obviously not everyone makes it come results day. And they still need places for those who get in as insurance to go, so you can try to make sure you're one of the first on results day if there is a procedure to change.

(Original post by Goffa)
    To be honest I'm inclined to apply for Riverside as my first choice because it still has 450 people there and its only 5 minutes away from Raleigh can it really be that different?
    Just a slightly different culture. As has been noted earlier, Riverside probably has slightly more non-first-year vibe. In terms of nights out, you may have to create more for yourself or get your flat to hang out with the crew from other halls. But tbh I wouldn't imagine it being too different.

Like I mentioned above, it swings in roundabouts as you can get to uni quicker and other house parties in the Lenton area if you make such friends in first year. Many 1st yrs I in the Raleigh area miss out on the Freshers stuff cause it's a trek to University Park so they aren't in the loop.

Raleigh is a very popular accommodation for fresher's, if you're looking for somewhere where people will go on nights out with you and there will be house parties Raleigh is definitely the way to go.

Riverside is definitely quieter and I would say more of an international/2nd year accommodation. It is also quite far from town so it won't be your go to for nights out
    They're about the same distance from the city centre. Okay Raleigh is a couple of mins walk closer to the studenty Corner-house area and Riverside a couple of mins closer to station side of town.

ReputationRep:
    I decided to apply to Raleigh Park in the end - I have a place already! It seemed like a better option for Freshers as it is larger and closer to the Lidl.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 6, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.