The Student Room Group

I’m making my boyfriend take my name when we get married

Ladies, would you do the same. Why is it always the woman who has to relinquish her surname?

I think part of it also though that his surname is ‘Trumpington’ and it would have to be a cold day in hell before I’d be adopting that as a surname.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pleasantri
Ladies, would you do the same. Why is it always the woman who has to relinquish her surname?

I think part of it also though that his surname is ‘Trumpington’ and it would have to be a cold day in hell before I’d be adopting that as a surname.

You can't force anyone to change their name. Why do you expect him to change his surname? Also, nowadays women aren't "always" changing their name.
(edited 6 years ago)
i wouldnt do the same because its just odd, even if my partner wanted to take my last name. i wouldnt judge anyone who did though since as long as both parties are happy there isnt an issue.
You keep your surname, he keeps his. Don't force him to take yours-that's ridiculous.
Start a new trend in your family and combine the surnames. Would be very interesting :u: Anyway, its not uncommon for men to take up their wive's surname. And neither is it necessary for a woman to change her last name. Its totally up to you.
Reply 5
I wouldn’t make anyone take my name, but I plan on keeping mine. What my partner wants to do with their name is up to them!
How are you going to force him? I've met a few couples where the woman has kept her name and so has the man.
Reply 7
Original post by ValerieAmberston
Start a new trend in your family and combine the surnames. Would be very interesting :u: Anyway, its not uncommon for men to take up their wive's surname. And neither is it necessary for a woman to change her last name. Its totally up to you.

Not uncommon? I’ve never met anyone who’s taken their wife’s surname...
Reply 8

Well, you can adopt a new surname when you get married or you could have a composite surname, (e.g Tumpington-Doe).

If you believe that your boyfriend can't force you to take his name, then you can't force your boyfriend to take your name.
Your boyfriend’s name is indeed terrible but he should definitely change it to ‘Cuckington’ if you ask me. Would you be happier with taking that name perhaps?
(edited 6 years ago)
Fascinating.
Original post by cat_mac
Not uncommon? I’ve never met anyone who’s taken their wife’s surname...

Neither have I because people dont usually divert from the social norms they have been following for years. But I have read news about a some men doing it. :s-smilie: So even if its rare its not unheard of. :h:
**** would hit the fan if the roles were reversed here
You can’t force him to do anything. Grow up.
his surname is ‘Trumpington’ and it would have to be a cold day in hell before I’d be adopting that as a surname.

"Trumpington"! :biggrin: You've gotta be joking...! Well at least it sounds kinda fancy.
Reply 15

Normally I'd be against this sort of thing

but with a surname like Trumpington .....you don't want your kids running around the playground with that name ...lmao
I don't have a problem with men taking their wifes name in theory.

In practice, the men I know who have done so are all pretty pathetic guys. Maybe there is a correlation there, but in theory I don't have anything against a man taking a woman's name.

--

What I really don't like is keeping individual names, or double-barreled names.

Individual names undermines a families cohesive identity for me (all be it only in a small way) and forces a child to have one parents name rather then both..

unless they go double-barreled, which is just awful in the long run, as obviously if most people had double barreled names, then their children would be quadruple barreled etc.
Well its happened and there was an article on bbc for it. Ppl might think your husband is gay or something
Original post by Hateocracy
**** would hit the fan if the roles were reversed here

I'm simply unhappy that women are expected to give up part of their identity (their family name), because that's what the men expect.
Original post by fallen_acorns
I don't have a problem with men taking their wifes name in theory.

In practice, the men I know who have done so are all pretty pathetic guys. Maybe there is a correlation there, but in theory I don't have anything against a man taking a woman's name.

--

What I really don't like is keeping individual names, or double-barreled names.

Individual names undermines a families cohesive identity for me (all be it only in a small way) and forces a child to have one parents name rather then both..

unless they go double-barreled, which is just awful in the long run, as obviously if most people had double barreled names, then their children would be quadruple barreled etc.

Then make both parents go double-barrelled.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending