Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

I have recently written a letter to my supervisor with the following opening: 'I hope you understand that translation work requires high level of concentration and accuracy.'

The background is that I am working for a company which provides translation services. Given my workload, I wish my supervisor, who is a very experienced translator, will review my pay. However, he replied by stating that the expression aforementioned is 'totally impolite and offensive'.

Regardless of his motive, I am wondering if my expression is indeed what he said. Please advise, English experts. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisbenoit923)
    Hi All,

I have recently written a letter to my supervisor with the following opening: 'I hope you understand that translation work requires high level of concentration and accuracy.'

The background is that I am working for a company which provides translation services. Given my workload, I wish my supervisor, who is a very experienced translator, will review my pay. However, he replied by stating that the expression aforementioned is 'totally impolite and offensive'.

Regardless of his motive, I am wondering if my expression is indeed what he said. Please advise, English experts. Thanks!
    I hope you understand, and (s)he is an expert so obviously knows. Sounds a little bit weird to say that. You could have started saying as you know....

ReputationRep:
    'I hope you understand that...' suggests that the listener needs to know this, but they might not. I don't think that it is totally impolite and offensive. It might come across as a little aggressive depending on the context, because it strengthens whatever follows. For example:
    "I hope you understand that you will not be allowed to bring any visitors into the building" suggests that the speaker thinks you are the sort of person who would break this rule, and they are already cross with you. A listener could get upset at the implied accusation.
    However, if you are given a flight upgrade and the attendant says "I hope you understand that we can't offer this every time you fly", there would be nothing to get upset about.

As an alternative, try "I am sure that you will understand how much concentration is needed with translation work..." which flatters the listener because it assumes that they are clever enough to know already.

ReputationRep:
    Overall it sound as if your being rude to your boss in of a controlling gratitude way. You should have started your sentence with a kind impression like for instance... " please be alert about " or " kindly hope you do ..."🙂
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 12, 2018

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.