The Student Room Group

Maths GCSE question

hey, i’m currently stuck on this question and wondered if anyone could help. Thanks in advance.
Attachment not found
I think...
a: 2b
b: -a b
c: -a-b
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by aaminah03
I think...

b) should be b-a (you missed the addition sign)

It is important that you understood how he got these answers. Do you? Or do you need an explanation?
Reply 3
Original post by Y11_Maths

It is important that you understood how he got these answers. Do you? Or do you need an explanation?

Thanks for the help. Could I have an explanation please?

Sorry, yh I missed the addition sign.
I don’t think u need an explanation as they are only worth 1 mark
Reply 5
I think...

Thank you
Original post by Ns8899
Thank you

No problem 👍🏼
Original post by Ns8899
Thanks for the help. Could I have an explanation please?

For the first question it want the vector of the straight line from D to B. This will be equal to 2 lots of b (2b) since half of the line is b.

Question 2 to go from A to B, start at point A, you have to go opposite the vector of a so this will be -a then you have to add the vector of b to get to your finish point B. So this will be -a+b or b-a.

Question 3, since you know that the vector DO is b, starting from point A you need to go -a to get to the centre then -b to get to your finish point, hence -a-b.
Sorry, yh I missed the addition sign.
I don’t think u need an explanation as they are only worth 1 mark

An explanation of how it’s done so he understands it for future vector questions :smile:
An explanation of how it’s done so he understands it for future vector questions :smile:

Ok 🙂👍🏼
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
For the first question it want the vector of the straight line from D to B. This will be equal to 2 lots of b (2b) since half of the line is b.

Question 2 to go from A to B, start at point A, you have to go opposite the vector of a so this will be -a then you have to add the vector of b to get to your finish point B. So this will be -a+b or b-a.

Question 3, since you know that the vector DO is b, starting from point A you need to go -a to get to the centre then -b to get to your finish point, hence -a-b.

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest