Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Circumcision for phimosis? watch

Announcements

I have phimosis. Hasn't caused any serious medical problems so far like swelling etc., except for a urinary tract infection when I was 1 or 2 (barely remember it). Foreskin balloons during urination but no pain (thankfully).

However ... it hurts to pull on the foreskin. I have never been able to retract and expose the glans at all, not even a bit. In fact I never knew that this was abnormal until a few years back; always thought that it was the case.

Also, there is barely any sensation except at the tip. I have received oral sex before which was very unpleasurable simply because I could barely feel a thing. I can get orgasms from masturbation but again there is no sensation except at the tip.

I have visited a GP previously to express my concerns (didn't explicitly talk about the sensations bit though) and my interest in circumcision. He did a brief examination which only confirmed that I had phimosis. But he just said that as long as it wasn't causing further problems during urination or sex (I haven't had sexual intercourse), it cannot be justified under NHS.

So, excuse the long-windedness, but anyone has a similar experience or knows if I can get circumcised covered under NHS? I am an international student so I have paid to be covered by NHS - would definitely want to use NHS services unless absolutely necessary. I have searched for private circumcision prices and they are not cheap (understandably so).
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    x
    It should be done under the NHS by referral from your GP. Go back and say that it is causing problems with sex (even though you haven't) for example and want to be referred. You should be. Do not settle for less. It's better to get the circumcision done and out the way or have this treated appropriately before you have a GF and it causes issues or you have to spend several weeks healing.

Hey Anon, how's it going?

I too suffered from the condition and understand the pain and trouble it can cause. After going to my GP, I was referred to the Urology team at the local hospital and had the op. done myself (just under three years ago).

Now, although my hygiene and sex life has considerably improved (i.e., I can now manage to have sexual intercourse) the operation didn't come without a lot of setbacks for me, personally. For example, I now struggle to gain and maintain erections, making intercourse pretty challenging and frustrating at times. I definitely regret having the op, but at the time I felt under pressure to do so.

Before you go with the full operation, I'd recommend you enquire about the other alternative options, such as having your foreskin surgically loosened as opposed to totally removed. If that doesn't work, circumcision is still an option.

If you believe that you want to go for the full operation, I would definitely recommend reading up on both the positive and negative outcomes of the surgery before giving it the green light. I'd also recommend that you keep in mind that there is a risk of psychosexual issues arising as a result of the operation, which may create new problems for you (i.e., ED).

(Original post by 8472)
    It should be done under the NHS by referral from your GP. Go back and say that it is causing problems with sex (even though you haven't) for example and want to be referred. You should be. Do not settle for less. It's better to get the circumcision done and out the way or have this treated appropriately before you have a GF and it causes issues or you have to spend several weeks healing.
    Thanks for your advice. Thing is I feel bad if I say it is causing problems, especially if the GP starts probing in detail about it, and I won't know what to say (since I wouldn't have had any experience either way)

Hey Anon, how's it going?

I too suffered from the condition and understand the pain and trouble it can cause. After going to my GP, I was referred to the Urology team at the local hospital and had the op. done myself (just under three years ago).

Now, although my hygiene and sex life has considerably improved (i.e., I can now manage to have sexual intercourse) the operation didn't come without a lot of setbacks for me, personally. For example, I now struggle to gain and maintain erections, making intercourse pretty challenging and frustrating at times. I definitely regret having the op, but at the time I felt under pressure to do so.

Before you go with the full operation, I'd recommend you enquire about the other alternative options, such as having your foreskin surgically loosened as opposed to totally removed. If that doesn't work, circumcision is still an option.

If you believe that you want to go for the full operation, I would definitely recommend reading up on both the positive and negative outcomes of the surgery before giving it the green light. I'd also recommend that you keep in mind that there is a risk of psychosexual issues arising as a result of the operation, which may create new problems for you (i.e., ED).
    Thanks anon for your warning. I have heard about the side effects of circumcision and will be mindful of it as well.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Thanks for your advice. Thing is I feel bad if I say it is causing problems, especially if the GP starts probing in detail about it, and I won't know what to say (since I wouldn't have had any experience either way)
    They won't dive into it deeply. They know it's sensitive issue and know most people aren't as open as me. All you need to say is you tried doing things but it was painful and felt like you were going to tear or something alongside some sharp pain. I just want to see you have treatment no matter what that is similar to what anon #2 says.

Would like to bump my post and see if anyone has anything else to suggest? Or anyone has similar experiences as well?

(Original post by 8472)
    They won't dive into it deeply. They know it's sensitive issue and know most people aren't as open as me. All you need to say is you tried doing things but it was painful and felt like you were going to tear or something alongside some sharp pain. I just want to see you have treatment no matter what that is similar to what anon #2 says.
    Thanks, really appreciate it!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.