The Student Room Group

How to go from a B to an A/A* in A Level Biology?

I'm in year 13 atm, currently I'm working at a low B in Biology and i'm really struggling to get my grade up. Exams are getting closer and I just don't know where to start! I want to do past papers but I feel like I don't know the content well enough to do them so I need something in the meantime to ingrain everything into my brain but I'm not sure how. Any tips on how to revise 2 years worth of content effectively before Easter so I can spend Easter doing past papers? I'm on OCR btw
pls Help
I'm just commenting so I can see any future responses as I have the same issue. currently I'm using physics and maths tutor and using summary notes
I did the old spec biology a-levels so my experience was different to yours but what I found to work was doing the homework on the day you were set it and doing about an hours worth of revision a night. I went from a B to an A* doing that. I hope this helps
Hi! I achieved an A is AS bio and am on track to get an A^*. I think all i can suggest to you is repetition. I flashcard everything, then make revision posters then do the past papers. Making sure you understand how to analyse data is very important too, the only way to do this is to sit down and learn it. It might help breaking things down into manageable quantities because the spec can be quite daunting at first. I would suggest tackling a chapter a week and trying to learn it that way by at the end of the week doing exam questions from that topic to assess your learning.
Reply 5
Keep reading the textbook a couple of times it contains like 95% of what you need to know.
Thank you, how did you revise each night?
Original post by ProbablyJade
Hi! I achieved an A is AS bio and am on track to get an A^*. I think all i can suggest to you is repetition. I flashcard everything, then make revision posters then do the past papers. Making sure you understand how to analyse data is very important too, the only way to do this is to sit down and learn it. It might help breaking things down into manageable quantities because the spec can be quite daunting at first. I would suggest tackling a chapter a week and trying to learn it that way by at the end of the week doing exam questions from that topic to assess your learning.

Thank you so much, that's really useful. The main issue for me is knowing where to start but I think doing a chapter a week or every few days will help! I'm finding that the notes I made last year and at the start of A2 aren't that great because I didn't make the effort to break it down and understand it really well so I'll be sure to do that now :smile:
Original post by AnALevelStudent
Thank you so much, that's really useful. The main issue for me is knowing where to start but I think doing a chapter a week or every few days will help! I'm finding that the notes I made last year and at the start of A2 aren't that great because I didn't make the effort to break it down and understand it really well so I'll be sure to do that now :smile:

Glad i could help! Good luck :smile:
Original post by AnALevelStudent
Thank you, how did you revise each night?

Mostly rote memorisation of what I needed to learn: e.g: heart anatomy, biochemistry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending