Turn on thread page Beta

Statistics QUESTION CIE AS LEVEL ; help pleased watch

ReputationRep:
    b) A normal distribution has mean μ and standard deviation σ. If 800 observations are taken from
    this distribution, how many would you expect to be between μ − σ and μ + σ? [3]

Can someone please explain this to me . Thank you
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Sammysammy99)
    b) A normal distribution has mean μ and standard deviation σ. If 800 observations are taken from this distribution, how many would you expect to be between μ − σ and μ + σ? [3]

Can someone please explain this to me . Thank you
    You need to refer to:

ReputationRep:
    I'd calculate what proportion of the data lies between μ − σ and μ + σ on a normal distribution graph(i.e. proportion of data between -1 and 1). I calculate it to be 0.682689

Then multiply this by 800 to get 546.152. So I'd expect approximately 546 of these observations to lie within these parameters.

Any steps of that you don't understand why I've done it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AzureCeleste)
    I'd calculate what proportion of the data lies between μ − σ and μ + σ on a normal distribution graph(i.e. proportion of data between -1 and 1). I calculate it to be 0.682689

Then multiply this by 800 to get 546.152. So I'd expect approximately 546 of these observations to lie within these parameters.

Any steps of that you don't understand why I've done it?
    I don't get where the number 0.682689 came from I'm really confused?

ReputationRep:
    I used my calculator to get it by doing normcdf(-1,1,0,1). I don't know however if you normally use a calculator for this?
    If you don't, you can refer to the diagram posted further up to get 68.2% (aka 0.682)

ReputationRep:
    How do u know the middle part has a 34% ?

ReputationRep:
    Look at the graph RDKGames posted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AzureCeleste)
    Look at the graph RDKGames posted.
    I get that graph but why did he put 34 percent in there ? From where did he get those numbers

ReputationRep:
    I get that graph but why did he put 34 percent in there ? From where did he get those numbers
    Probably got it off the internet???
    What kind of calculations have you done with the normal graph?
    Like do you know how to calculate the proportion of data lying between 0 and and 1 σ ?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This is something that should be covered in your lessons.

Take X \sim N(0,1) which means X is your uniform random variable following a normal distribution.

The mean here is \mu = 0, and the variance here is \sigma^2 = 1 therefore \sigma = \sqrt{1} = 1 which is also our standard deviation.

To find the percentage of values which lie between our mean and one standard deviation ahead of it, we do:
    \begin{aligned} P(\mu < X < \mu + \sigma) & = P(0 < X < 1) \\ & = P(X<1)-P(X<0) \\ & = P(X<1)-0.5

Now we get that P(X<1) \approx 0.8413 from the normal distribution table.
    Therefore we have P(0 < X < 1) \approx 0.3413 which is 34.1% and hence that's where it comes from on the image I posted above.

If you cannot see the proper mathematical form in this post, I suggest you get off your app and use your phone's browser to view maths on TSR for it to display properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    This is something that should be covered in your lessons.

Take X \sim N(0,1) which means X is your uniform random variable following a normal distribution.

The mean here is \mu = 0, and the variance here is \sigma^2 = 1 therefore \sigma = \sqrt{1} = 1 which is also our standard deviation.

To find the percentage of values which lie between our mean and one standard deviation ahead of it, we do:
    \begin{aligned} P(\mu < X < \mu + \sigma) & = P(0 < X < 1) \\ & = P(X<1)-P(X<0) \\ & = P(X<1)-0.5

Now we get that P(X<1) \approx 0.8413 from the normal distribution table.
    Therefore we have P(0 < X < 1) \approx 0.3413 which is 34.1% and hence that's where it comes from on the image I posted above.

If you cannot see the proper mathematical form in this post, I suggest you get off your app and use your phone's browser to view maths on TSR for it to display properly.
    Ok thank you very much for this detailed answer , really appreciate it , I just do not get why u didn’t add one the the left side , what I mean is that u added r to the right side e.g mu+s.d but only to the right side
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ok thank you very much for this detailed answer , really appreciate it , I just do not get why u didn’t add one the the left side , what I mean is that u added r to the right side e.g mu+s.d but only to the right side
    Not sure what you mean?

Are you referring to \mu < X < \mu + \sigma? Why would I add one here...??

As I mentioned early in the post, \mu = 0 and \sigma = 1, so the region \mu < X < \mu + \sigma is the same as  0 < X < 0+1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Not sure what you mean?

Are you referring to \mu < X < \mu + \sigma? Why would I add one here...??

As I mentioned early in the post, \mu = 0 and \sigma = 1, so the region \mu < X < \mu + \sigma is the same as  0 < X < 0+1
    No it’s fine , thank you veryyy much I get it now , I went over it and understood . Very helpful thank u

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 12, 2018
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.