Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Pets at uni watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Feebzie5)
    What would be an example of the urgent issue? We were told we always get a week's notice so we can tidy up lol.
    A plumber came round to my house when i wasnt in
    i love my animals too but had to leave them at home, for one woodshavings and stuff are expensive which i couldnt afford on a student budget and my room is small so i doubt me and a bed and 2 6ft cages would fit in here

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible? Yes.
    Is it good for your pets? No.
    Halls are not a place where pets can live happy lives. The noise, fire alarms and constant anxiety of the wrong person finding them doesn’t make either of you happy. I would recommend you think of what is best for your pets, being rehomed to a nice family who play with them a lot and have a calm environment, or being hidden in a hectic and noisy student halls. It’s hard to part from your beloved pets but as their caregiver it’s your responsibility to make sure they have happy lives.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Soooo... I'm hopefully going uni in September to study Wildlife Conservation, and as you can probably guess from that course,I'm an animal lover. I have two rats, a hamster and two cats. Now I'm not stupid and I know I can't bring my cats but my family ABSOLUTELY DESPISE my rats and hamster and won't look after them when I'm gone. (They are scared of them but they are lovely little babies that don't cause anyone any harm.)

So I had a plan and wanted to know what you guys thought.. would it work etc. Have you guys had pets at uni and got away with it ??

We get a weeks notice before every inspection so, my plan is just hide the cage and pet stuff and take the rats and hamster out with me. (We don't have to be present for inspections) My pets are really well trained and will sit with me outside and come when called and what not and I always go outside with them.

I have also considered finding them a new home but thats just not an option. All three I rescued from neglectful homes and I don't want them passed on again. I also have thought about parties while at uni and I will just lock my room. They won't be in harms way as I love them and care for them properly.

It's definitely possible I know a lot of people who have hamsters/ hedgehogs/ guinea pigs/ rabbits- I'm at a veterinary uni. It's a faff- but if you have no choice of leaving them at home then I'd bring them up. I moved out of halls 2 years ago and am in a house now which is no pets... I still have my 2 dogs and 2 cats. As long as you keep the place clean and tidy with minimal smells Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry. There are hundreds of rats at every university.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that was my thought too, just name one of the random free range rats and it's 'yours'
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Soooo... I'm hopefully going uni in September to study Wildlife Conservation, and as you can probably guess from that course,I'm an animal lover. I have two rats, a hamster and two cats. Now I'm not stupid and I know I can't bring my cats but my family ABSOLUTELY DESPISE my rats and hamster and won't look after them when I'm gone. (They are scared of them but they are lovely little babies that don't cause anyone any harm.)

So I had a plan and wanted to know what you guys thought.. would it work etc. Have you guys had pets at uni and got away with it ??

We get a weeks notice before every inspection so, my plan is just hide the cage and pet stuff and take the rats and hamster out with me. (We don't have to be present for inspections) My pets are really well trained and will sit with me outside and come when called and what not and I always go outside with them.

I have also considered finding them a new home but thats just not an option. All three I rescued from neglectful homes and I don't want them passed on again. I also have thought about parties while at uni and I will just lock my room. They won't be in harms way as I love them and care for them properly.
    We were told about the so called notice that need to be given before inspection but at least once they set off the fire alarm for a test and inspected rooms and called people out! If you REALLY need to take them then can you privately rent a flat/house share which allows them? Halls are SO strict.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    What about reaching out to the staff and students on your course to find if anyone would be able to provide a local foster home for them during term time. You can visit them, they’d have a devoted stable family home and everyone benefits.
    If you offer to help with cleaning/supplies/vet bills then I’m sure you could find a great home for them.

ReputationRep:
    I would never risk it because you can get thrown out of your room if found with pets. The university I'm going to has a strict 'no pets' policy. If I really wanted to bring any pets to university with me, then I would get a private rent flat or studio. Perhaps that's what you should think about doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chantyloux)
    It's definitely possible I know a lot of people who have hamsters/ hedgehogs/ guinea pigs/ rabbits- I'm at a veterinary uni. It's a faff- but if you have no choice of leaving them at home then I'd bring them up. I moved out of halls 2 years ago and am in a house now which is no pets... I still have my 2 dogs and 2 cats. As long as you keep the place clean and tidy with minimal smells Good luck
    Thank you, I'm sure you can relate as a vet student haha xxx

ReputationRep:
    Honestly you don't sound like you're thinking this through. You wanted people to agree with you but everyone who has been to uni is saying the same thing.

1. Parties are an issue. People will be drunker, louder, more often and for longer than at college parties. It's not nice for your animals to have to deal with that noise.

2. Your flatmates may claim they're OK with the animals but what if they make noise at night which can be heard (walls are notoriously thin) or there is a noticeable smell which spreads into the flat? Right now everyone is worried about looking good and they probably aren't thinking about the potential problems. If they get annoyed by the animals they may change their mind. Or they may get annoyed at you for other reasons and report you out of pettiness.

3. The accommodation people CAN enter your room with little or no notice if they need to and it'll likely happen at some point since rooms are poorly maintained. Also, can you really carry around the animals ALL DAY? You have no idea what you might encounter during that time which could spook them nd make them run away. You can't rely on someone else to take them because as I said above, epople are just unreliable.

4. Finances - pets are expensive and can generate sudden expenses and people are notoriously bad at money management during their first year when things can get out of control fast.

5. you will struggle to find an appropriate apartment, generally student places won't accept pets and non student places won't accept students, just because somewhere appears to be appropriate doesn't mean they'll agree to let to you and if they did it could cost A LOT once you take into account bills etc

6. you can't realistically travel with your pets 3x or more a year... even if you're willing that will be strssful and unfair on an (elderly and weak) animal.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.