Turn on thread page Beta

School trips abroad - Will your parents allow you to go? watch

ReputationRep:
    I’m 14 and in Year 9. I’ve always been fascinated with America and it’s a lifetime ambition of mine to visit. I’m taking history as one of my GCSE options and was informed that the History department are planning on running a trip to Washington D.C for my year group when we’re in Year 11, as one module of the course is about American history. However, my mum refuses to let me go abroad with school; how can I convince her to allow me to go? I feel like I’m never going to get this opportunity again and as we’re unable to fund a family trip there, I’m really missing out on what could be one of the best experiences of my life.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I kind of know how you feel. In year 6, they had a weekend trip to France. I really wanted to go, but my brother (2 school years older than me) didn't want to go when he was in year 6, therefore he didn't. My parents viewed this to mean I can't go either because it would be unfair. I could see it if my brother wanted to go, but he didn't and chose not to, whereas I wanted to go but my parents wouldn't let me because it would make my brother jealous. It wouldn't have because he didn't want to go! I'm still slightly bitter about this.

Anyway, I don't think there's much you can do because whilst you're under 18 your parents are legally responsible for you, therefore they have the final say. Maybe ask about her reasons for refusing and see if your teacher could talk to her about it?

ReputationRep:
    When I wanted to do the German Exchange, initially my mum and dad said no. I really wanted to go on this trip so I told my German teacher to phone my mum and tell her about how going to Germany would greatly improve my German and improve my employability etc.

German teacher convinced her and I later went to Germany for 11 days and lived amongst the Germans . Still got an E in GCSE German though...

I'd recommend telling your mum about the educational benefits of going on such a trip. I'm also assume this trip will cost greater than £600. Tell her you'll help to pay the money towards it e.g. part-time job or say you'd prefer money put towards this trip rather than Christmas and Birthday. If money is quite tight, such an expensive trip for what is essentially a holiday with your schoolmates could be slightly off putting for your mum.

Make a point to show you're willing to earn the trip and the experience which comes with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xchloem03X)
    I’m 14 and in Year 9. I’ve always been fascinated with America and it’s a lifetime ambition of mine to visit. I’m taking history as one of my GCSE options and was informed that the History department are planning on running a trip to Washington D.C for my year group when we’re in Year 11, as one module of the course is about American history. However, my mum refuses to let me go abroad with school; how can I convince her to allow me to go? I feel like I’m never going to get this opportunity again and as we’re unable to fund a family trip there, I’m really missing out on what could be one of the best experiences of my life.
    What's the reason they're saying you can't go? If it's financial (as you say they're unable to fund a family trip there) then that's fair enough, you can't expect them to spend money they can't afford to spend. Would you rather go on what's really a pointless trip you don't need to go on (you won't actually learn much at all that will help you in your exams), or have food and heating at home?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    What is the reason they're saying you can't go? If it's financial (as you say they're unable to fund a family trip there) then that's fair enough, you can't expect them to spend money they can't afford to spend. Would you rather go on what's really a pointless trip you don't need to go on (you won't actually learn much at all that will help you in your exams), or have food and warmth at home?
    I would also understand if it was financial but it’s because she’s very protective of me and gets really anxious that something bad will happen on the trip. It’s lovely to know that my mum cares about me that much but in some ways, it’s holding me back from what I want to do and makes me more anxious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CTLevers)
    When I wanted to do the German Exchange, initially my mum and dad said no. I really wanted to go on this trip so I told my German teacher to phone my mum and tell her about how going to Germany would greatly improve my German and improve my employability etc.

German teacher convinced her and I later went to Germany for 11 days and lived amongst the Germans . Still got an E in GCSE German though...

I'd recommend telling your mum about the educational benefits of going on such a trip. I'm also assume this trip will cost greater than £600. Tell her you'll help to pay the money towards it e.g. part-time job or say you'd prefer money put towards this trip rather than Christmas and Birthday. If money is quite tight, such an expensive trip for what is essentially a holiday with your schoolmates could be slightly off putting for your mum.

Make a point to show you're willing to earn the trip and the experience which comes with it.
    Thank you so much for the advice, that’s really helpful :-) I’ll definitely ask my History teacher to convince her closer to the time and help out financially as much as I can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    I kind of know how you feel. In year 6, they had a weekend trip to France. I really wanted to go, but my brother (2 school years older than me) didn't want to go when he was in year 6, therefore he didn't. My parents viewed this to mean I can't go either because it would be unfair. I could see it if my brother wanted to go, but he didn't and chose not to, whereas I wanted to go but my parents wouldn't let me because it would make my brother jealous. It wouldn't have because he didn't want to go! I'm still slightly bitter about this.

Anyway, I don't think there's much you can do because whilst you're under 18 your parents are legally responsible for you, therefore they have the final say. Maybe ask about her reasons for refusing and see if your teacher could talk to her about it?
    Oh no, I can understand why you’re still annoyed about that :-( Thank you so much for the advice 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xchloem03X)
    If the reason why you can't go to America is because your parents can't afford it then you can ask the school whether there are any bursaries that you can use that would cover the cost of some / or all of fees.

Otherwise you would have to wait when you are older.

EDIT: It seems that this due to your mum being over-protective.All I can say is try to continue to persuade your mum to let you go on the trip
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hey (again)
    Earlier this year I wanted to go on a school trip to China. My parents were dead set against it.
    There issues were a mix of financial and safety issues.
    I’m so extra that I decided to make a PowerPoint outlining their concerns and I came up with solutions. For example they were concerned about the distance and knowing where I was. I said I’d have a WhatsApp group which I’d update multiple times a day (I then proved I could be trusted when I went on a trip to Berlin and updated a family group chat every day). I guess just try and find a solution to whatever their issue with you going is?!
    If not I wouldn’t be grumpy about it; just try and show you can be trusted so that next time there’s a trip you can go. Remember you’ll have the chance to go to America in the future!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stoyfan)
    If the reason why you can't go to America is because your parents can't afford it then you can ask the school whether there are any bursaries that you can use that would cover the cost of some / or all of fees.

Otherwise you would have to wait when you are older.

EDIT: It seems that this due to your mum being over-protective.All I can say is try to continue to persuade your mum to let you go on the trip
    Thank you :-) It could take a lot of persuading, she said she'd let me go if they would allow parent volunteers lol... I think she thinks I’m still in primary school!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toastiekid)
    Hey (again)
    Earlier this year I wanted to go on a school trip to China. My parents were dead set against it.
    There issues were a mix of financial and safety issues.
    I’m so extra that I decided to make a PowerPoint outlining their concerns and I came up with solutions. For example they were concerned about the distance and knowing where I was. I said I’d have a WhatsApp group which I’d update multiple times a day (I then proved I could be trusted when I went on a trip to Berlin and updated a family group chat every day). I guess just try and find a solution to whatever their issue with you going is?!
    If not I wouldn’t be grumpy about it; just try and show you can be trusted so that next time there’s a trip you can go. Remember you’ll have the chance to go to America in the future!
    Thank you so much,that’s a great idea! * Starts making a convincing powerpoint*

ReputationRep:
    If they're concerned about your safety and not feeling at ease with the fact you're going without them, remind them that your teachers greatest fear is that something will happen to one of their students (e.g. someone gets lost). Therefore they will take every precaution they can to ensure your safety.
    I recently went on a trip to San Francisco with my computer science class and it is not only an amazing experience but also a way to build independence and confidence - especially since you are only four years away from being 18 and having the ability to go to university. You can also still keep in contact with your mum if you use whatsapp and update her on what you are doing so she doesn't fell completely in the dark about how and where you are - I think the time difference is around 5 hours so you can definitely have a conversation if needs be. If any of your friends are going, that might comfort her, also if there are any older years going with you (that's what happened on our trip).

If she is still completely against it, then just try to prove your maturity and that you are responsible so that if a similar opportunity comes up, she'll be more inclined to let you go. Also definitely do that powerpoint thing; many of my friends have used it with successful results.
    Good luck and if you can convince her have a great time!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wowitsaname)
    If they're concerned about your safety and not feeling at ease with the fact you're going without them, remind them that your teachers greatest fear is that something will happen to one of their students (e.g. someone gets lost). Therefore they will take every precaution they can to ensure your safety.
    I recently went on a trip to San Francisco with my computer science class and it is not only an amazing experience but also a way to build independence and confidence - especially since you are only four years away from being 18 and having the ability to go to university. You can also still keep in contact with your mum if you use whatsapp and update her on what you are doing so she doesn't fell completely in the dark about how and where you are - I think the time difference is around 5 hours so you can definitely have a conversation if needs be. If any of your friends are going, that might comfort her, also if there are any older years going with you (that's what happened on our trip).

If she is still completely against it, then just try to prove your maturity and that you are responsible so that if a similar opportunity comes up, she'll be more inclined to let you go. Also definitely do that powerpoint thing; many of my friends have used it with successful results.
    Good luck and if you can convince her have a great time!!!
    Thank you so much for the advice. Oh wow, I’d LOVE to go to San Francisco, I’m glad you had a great time 😊

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.