Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm currently studying CertHE Law in USW and I figured out that law isn't the course for me and I want to change to Information Communication Technology. (The course is 1 year leading to a full LLB degree) And I'm finishing the year, but I don't know how it'll affect my student finance. The information I find online, it's giving me mixed messages like I'll still be funded for the whole duration of my course, but I'll need to instantly pay back the tuition fees on the course I'm on.

Help and advice on student finance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by itsamieemarie)
    Hi, I'm currently studying CertHE Law in USW and I figured out that law isn't the course for me and I want to change to Information Communication Technology. (The course is 1 year leading to a full LLB degree) And I'm finishing the year, but I don't know how it'll affect my student finance. The information I find online, it's giving me mixed messages like I'll still be funded for the whole duration of my course, but I'll need to instantly pay back the tuition fees on the course I'm on.

Help and advice on student finance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Hi Itsamieemarie,

I just need to ask a couple of questions in order to help you there.

Apart from the CertHE you're currently on, have you ever studied at higher education level before?

Are you on the first year at the moment?

When you change course, are you going straight on to the Information Communication Technology degree or are you doing a foundation degree/access course (or anything like that) in order to get on to the degree?

Thank you,

John.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John B SFE)
    Hi Itsamieemarie,

I just need to ask a couple of questions in order to help you there.

Apart from the CertHE you're currently on, have you ever studied at higher education level before?

Are you on the first year at the moment?

When you change course, are you going straight on to the Information Communication Technology degree or are you doing a foundation degree/access course (or anything like that) in order to get on to the degree?

Thank you,

John.
    Hi John,

The CertHE Law course is the only higher education I have studied.

With changing course, it'll be Information Communication Technology either with or without a foundation year in place, (straight onto a degree) so it could be a total of 4 years. The likelihood might be that I would be studying ICT with the foundation year.

Thanks,

Amy
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by itsamieemarie)
    Hi John,

The CertHE Law course is the only higher education I have studied.

With changing course, it'll be Information Communication Technology either with or without a foundation year in place, (straight onto a degree) so it could be a total of 4 years. The likelihood might be that I would be studying ICT with the foundation year.

Thanks,

Amy
    Hi Amy,

We do take into account any years of previous study that you have had when calculating your future support.

If you have undertaken only the one year, you can be confident that you will receive full support for the length of your new course but not if you have to repeat any year in the future without compelling personal reasons.

Thanks Rona

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.