Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth the extra money being in an ensuite room?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lia22)
    Well, are you able to afford an ensuite room?
    Could you live without an ensuite bathroom?
    Are the shared bathrooms in your prospective uni good enough?
    If your uni fees are funded by the bank of mum and dad, can your parents afford ensuite accomodation?
    If you are relying on student loans, then would it cover the more expensive accomodation costs?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Lia22)
    100% yes, especially if you don't know who you're living with.

It is one of the best benefits of living away from home, having a bathroom all for yourself. ^Kam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stoyfan)
    Well, are you able to afford an ensuite room?
    Could you live without an ensuite bathroom?
    Are the shared bathrooms in your prospective uni good enough?
    If your uni fees are funded by the bank of mum and dad, can your parents afford ensuite accomodation?
    My student loan can cover the ensuite rooms price, but I feel like that extra money could be used for something else instead.
    I'm a slight clean freak though, I wouldn't have a problem sharing as long as it's kept clean...which is my only issue, as I don't know what other people will be like.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It depends a lot on who you're living with. It's always a bit of a gamble for first year, as you don't know beforehand, but the vast majority are able to obey basic social protocol in not completely rendering the bathroom unusable to others. Arranging cleaning rotas etc, on the other hand...

I'd suggest you consider your financial situation and reflect on whether the cost is worth it to you personally. If you have specific concerns or requirements as far as bathroom facilities go, it may be best to err on the side of caution and stick to an en suite until you move in with people you have at least some familiarity with.

ReputationRep:
    In all 3 years of uni I have lived in halls with shared bathrooms with people I didn't know before I moved in and it has never been a problem. Tbh I would rather have my own kitchen than bathroom. Also, in my halls there are cleaners who clean the bathrooms, in en suite accommodation i would have to clean my own.
    But it does depend on the difference between the cost of en suite and standard.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I personally say it is absolutely worth it. You never have any issues of it not being clean because it is solely your responsibility and you never have to worry about waiting for someone to be finished in the shower when you're in a rush.

Sure, some people could be absolutely fine. But equally you have no idea what people are like and might get some awful flatmates. And personally I'd rather pay the small premium over someone coming in drunk at 2am and vomiting everywhere. At the end of the day, you pay for convenience and odds are there isn't going to be something drastically more worthwhile to spend the money on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lia22)
    I don't think it's worth it. I never had to queue for a shower or a toilet and they were cleaned daily.

You also need to pay for your own cleaning stuff and toilet paper if you go ensuite so factor that in too.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely worth it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Lia22)
    I'd say it's worth it. Does depend on your budget, though.

There's a thread here with some pros/cons

ReputationRep:
    Well, I wanted to control my social interactions with people. I would not want to spend 20 mins talking to Jennie every time I wanna go for a piss.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.