The Student Room Group

I chose bio chem rs, ok for medicine?

so for my a levels i chose bio chem and rs with the intention of hopefully getting into medicine in the future. but im kinda having second thoughts now cos i was initially gonna take maths instead of rs but i chose rs cos i find maths too boring. would this lower my chances of getting into medicine? cos rs isnt exactly a science and ive been told that they count maths as a science
Hmm idk maths would help but I don’t think it’s entirely necessary. You have chemistry and biology and those are the main a levels needed so I think you’ll be ok
Original post by suf1.
so for my a levels i chose bio chem and rs with the intention of hopefully getting into medicine in the future. but im kinda having second thoughts now cos i was initially gonna take maths instead of rs but i chose rs cos i find maths too boring. would this lower my chances of getting into medicine? cos rs isnt exactly a science and ive been told that they count maths as a science

Very few medical schools require three sciences. You have they most important A-levels in chemistry and biology.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Yes RS is fine, it is still a decent A level.
Original post by suf1.

You have biology and chemistry which are 2 of the main ones they look at.
Id double check unis websites to see what they say.
Unless you're applying to oxbridge, you're fine with all medical schools for sure. They like to see variety and not just all science
Yes, I believe Cambridge is the only one that necessitates 3 STEM subjects normally, although I don't know what the application stats are for subject choices at Oxford. Most other medical schools seem fairly uninterested in your third option if you have Bio and Chem. UCL formerly stated it welcomed/rewarded applicants with a "contrasting" subject, although I believe that specific language has been removed from the site now.
There is a whole section of TSR about Applying for Medicine - including A level subjects/grades.

Read it all : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine
Original post by suf1.

Hi there!

Most medical schools only specify that they require A-Level Biology and Chemistry and don't specify what the third A-Level should be - so RS should be fine!

You can find out what each UK med school's A-Level requirements are on our What A-Levels do I need to be a doctor? page.

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal

Quick Reply

Latest