Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    when amino acids react with alcohols, do they produce nh3 as well as esters?

why does na2co3 produce CooNa, i thought it was acidic so would produce nh3+ on the molecule
    why does na add to the oh group as well?http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/...y%201%20QP.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esmeralda123)
    when amino acids react with alcohols, do they produce nh3 as well as esters?

why does na2co3 produce CooNa, i thought it was acidic so would produce nh3+ on the molecule
    why does na add to the oh group as well?http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/...y%201%20QP.pdf
    NH3 as in ammonia gas? Or NH3+ as in the ammonium ion?

If you esterify using a strong acid catalyst, then it will make the ammonium ion.

Na2CO3 is a basic salt. How can it be an acid? It doesn't contain H, never mind H+! (Yes... I know about Gilbert and his theory).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    NH3 as in ammonia gas? Or NH3+ as in the ammonium ion?

If you esterify using a strong acid catalyst, then it will make the ammonium ion.

Na2CO3 is a basic salt. How can it be an acid? It doesn't contain H, never mind H+! (Yes... I know about Gilbert and his theory).
    the mark scheme says that the ester must include nh3+ ion

ReputationRep:
    the mark scheme says that the ester must include nh3+ ion
    Yes due to the acidic conditions there is a increase in the [H+] concentration which can accept lone pair of electrons on the nitrogen atom.

ReputationRep:
    does this apply to every reaction that involves a catalyst
    (Original post by Lord Nutter)
    Yes due to the acidic conditions there is a increase in the [H+] concentration which can accept lone pair of electrons on the nitrogen atom.

ReputationRep:
    does this apply to every reaction that involves a catalyst
    If you have a amine and there some form of acid catalyst being used then yeah

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 11, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.